Had protected sex, spots on chest, itchy, red, scabbing. No fever or swollen nodes. HIV maculopapular rash?

Jul 2012

Good morning;
5 weeks ago I had protected sex with a man. The condom didn't break. A few days ago, I noticed a few small pimple-like spots on my chest. In the picture, you'll see two bumps closer to my collar bone then two more down near my right breast. They were a little itchy - I scratched them and they eventually got red, from the picture you'll see it looks like they've almost scabbed over. I have no fever, swollen nodes, etc; I had cold symptoms last week but this has since gone away. Would this rash be indicative of the acute HIV maculopapular rash or perhaps just chest acne (as I have acne-prone skin)?

I am definitely a hypochondriac and am just hoping you can put my mind to ease!

Posted Fri, 14 Sep 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 3 hours later
Hey XXXXXXX Just got home & read your story & viewed the photographs. Dont you worry..we are all hypochondriacs at some level especially involving health issues. In this particular instance, you have absolutely NOTHING to worry about. This is nowhere close to a maculopapular rash of an acute HIV infection & you probably just had the much more popular common cold last week! As for chest acne, possible, albeit i would not rule out an insect bite reaction given the itch et al. Please do apply a topical steroid(betamethasone)-antibiotic(gentamycin) cream that you should be able to get over the counter from your local pharmacist & you should be rid of the pesky rash in 24-48 hrs or at least the itch; the rash may take a further 3-4 days to clear! Do hope i have been lucid & unambiguous in my response to your question & have put your mind at ease. Cheers. Good Nite & Enjoy a gr8 weekend!! close this query if you feel your query was answered & feel free to keep in touch should you choose to & please do give us your invaluable feedback!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD Dermatologist,Cosmetologist, Venereologist@ XXXXXXX Hospital, Bangalore, India.