Had protected sex, oral sex, non-reactive HIV test, throat pain, fever. Normal?

Hi Doctor,

I had a protected sex with a sex worker last Saturday. Though I perform some oral sex. On very next day, I went to "Appolo Clinic" for a Tridot test and both the test shown "Non-Reactive". Since I have started Gym for 30 minutes in my office, I use to forget removing my inner garments, which was wet due to sweat. On last Wednesday, I had a throat pain and little feaver. I went to another "Appolo Clinic" near to my house and consult with a doctor there. I also undergo for HIV (ELISA) INTERPRETATION (Ag+Ab) test and both the cases it comes "Non-Reactive". Today, the doctor again check my health and found that I have some problem with cough and cold. He prescribed some medicines to me.

when I ask him, about the HIV results, he said that no need to worry about, as both test's are "Non-Reactive". My question is, am I normal at the moment? Or should I go for other test's on HIV after one or two weeks?

Posted Fri, 5 Oct 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 1 hour later
The fact that you got tested with an HIV ELISA test and it was negative so soon after a high risk sexual encounter doesn't completely exclude active infection.
The ELISA test may take up 3 to 6 months to become positive after you have been infected. There is another test called HIV viral load by PCR which can detect the actual virus in the blood shortly after infection (hours - days), however this test is not done routinely due to its high cost. Shortly after getting HIV infected a person can get a "flu like illness", which is another concerning issue in your case.
I don't mean to scare you, but you should definitely get a follow up testing. I highly recommend you following up with your primary care physician.