Had protected sex, no pleasure, slight warmth, taking Sertraline and anti-depressants

Psychiatrist
Question

Thanks in advance.

I am 37 years old Indian man and lost my virginity a couple of month back. I had paid sex a couple of times with different women as I was embarrassed to have sex with my girlfriend, being a virgin. I used a condom both times but did not feel much. I could only feel a general warmth when I was inside.

I had unprotected sex without a condom after this with my girlfriend but it was the same situation. I did not feel any pleasure and could just feel a slight warmth when I entered her.

I have been on anti depressants for the past fifteen years and have been taking sertraline regularly along with other anti depressants.
Posted Sun, 10 Jun 2012 in Men Sexual Problems

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 17 minutes later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     37 year old male
•     Known case of Depression
•     On sertaline for 15 years.

From your query it appear that you are not having orgasm and not experiencing pleasure from sex.

Considering your case there are three possibilities for this problem:
-Side effect of sertaline as it causes delayed orgasm and no orgasm in several persons
-Residual depressive symptoms
-Thyroid hormone problem: Get Serum T3/T4 and TSH assay done on empty stomach.

If you do not have any depressive symptoms currently then you should visit your psychiatrist for following measures:
-Lowering the dose of sertaline
-Change anti depressants. Like Bupron which improve sexual functioning.
-Start brisk walk in morning to improve blood circulation
-Vitamin supplement like Revital.

Final message to you: Do not worry about symptoms, follow above advice, stop substance use if any and take multi vitamins.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Had protected sex, no pleasure, slight warmth, taking Sertraline and anti-depressants 3 hours later
Hi Dr.Mittal,

Thank you for your response. I would like to provide a few more details.

1. I have been totally depression free for the past five years and live a full active and very successful professional life

2. I have no issues of getting an erection when aroused and getting pleasure from mastrubation or coming to orgasm and ejaculating.

3. I also suffer from Osteomalacia which I know is very uncommon in males and am taking Vitamin supplements for this and getting my Vitamin D3 and PTH tested.

I have had my T3/T4 tested earlier but will do so again.

Do you think that there could be some other reason, other than the anti depressants as I have no problem in getting sexually aroused or getting pleasure out of masturbation. I usually masturbate around once in 3 days. I am also highly attracted to the opposite sex and don't have a problem getting hard when I see someone I like.

Could there be any other cause Doctor?

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 28 minutes later
Hello again,

Thanks for follow up,

With further information it is clear that you do not have any sexual dysfunction and you have proper orgasm. So, no issue with sertaline.

Can you specifically tell your current problem to understand and help you better.

Follow-up: Had protected sex, no pleasure, slight warmth, taking Sertraline and anti-depressants 7 hours later
Hi Dr.Mittal,

My specific problem is that I do not feel any pleasure during penetration and very little during oral sex. I can only feel a wetness and warmth when I am inside her but do not feel anything else. It has come to a stage where I feel that if this is it, it is hardly worth the trouble. There is no sensation of pleasure at all. However, strangely, masturbation has always felt good and at present feels way better than the sex act.

I also would like to point out that I have stayed a virgin for so long out of choice and am a good looking, smart and social guy who has had his opportunities to have sex earlier but has turned them down, so it is not a lack of self esteem issue.

Also though I am on medication for depression, I am totally depression free and it does not affect my life in any way.

I also think that it would be pertinent to point out that I have also been on Propecia(finasteride) for the past 7 years. Though initially it did seem to reduce my sex drive in the first couple of months, at least in terms of desire for sex, it does not seem to be affecting me. I cannot say whether it affects the sensation during sex, but it has certainly had no effect on sensation during masturbation.

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 11 hours later
Hello again,

Thanks for follow up,

Your threshold for orgasm is appear to increase because following reasons: Regular masturbation and sertaline use as masturbation provide more physical stimulation to penis compare to natural sex.

It is not clear why are you started on finasteride by some physician but following steps will help you (as mentioned also in primary reply):
-Stop masturbation for few 2-3 months.
-Lowering the dose of sertaline
-Vitamin supplement like Revital.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Had protected sex, no pleasure, slight warmth, taking Sertraline and anti-depressants 2 hours later
Hi Doctor,

Sorry to keep asking you so many questions. I was given finasteride 1mg- once a day, by my skin specialist who is a qualified and reputed doctor, to prevent hair fall when I noticed that I was losing hair 7 years back.

I am taking the following drugs in a day- sertraline-200mg, etizolam-1.5mg,heloperidol-.5 mg.

Can you please suggest options for these and I will take it up with my doctor.

As I mentioned earlier, I have been on anti depressants for many years and have never felt any lack of longing for sex. Nor do I have any self image problems or problems with getting an erection, staying erect or coming to orgasm and ejaculating.

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 2 hours later
Hello again,

With further treatment history, future guideline remain same as in last reply. Your current problem appear to only 'increase threshold for orgasm'.

Try to taper stop and stop etizolam as long term use may lead to dependence on it. Haloperidol may also associated with sexual dysfunction, but Bupron will take care of it. So, discuss these treatment options with your psychiatrist.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Had protected sex, no pleasure, slight warmth, taking Sertraline and anti-depressants 6 hours later
Hi Doctor,

Just a couple of more questions:

1. I don't have a problem in coming to orgasm either through masturbation of penetration.

2. Do you think that the anti-depressants are more likely to be causing the loss of penile sensation or is it finasteride more likely to be .

I will accordingly change/stop that set of medication after consulting with my doctor one at a time.
Follow-up: Had protected sex, no pleasure, slight warmth, taking Sertraline and anti-depressants 6 minutes later
3. I read on the net that creams like "man1 man oil" help a lot. Should I try it and if so, can you tell me where it is available in India and if it is not available in India, which other oils can I try.

Hello again,

1. Problem is increase threshold for orgasm. Do not confuse it with absent orgasm.

2. Sertaline more likely cause

3. Avoiding it will be better.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Had protected sex, no pleasure, slight warmth, taking Sertraline and anti-depressants 42 hours later
Dear Doctor,

My physician has reduced the sertraline and etizolam and will gradually reduce the other medicines.

Can you please let me know in how many weeks, can I expect things to change and is their any way to know that things have turned around?

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 15 hours later
Hello again,

Duration differ case to case.

Usually it take 1-2 months

Follow-up: Had protected sex, no pleasure, slight warmth, taking Sertraline and anti-depressants 33 hours later
Dear Doctor,

I am following your advice as I mentioned to you earlier.

Could you tell me whether there is any way in which I can know whether the sensation has returned to my penis without intercourse.

What I find difficult to understand is why masturbation feels good and yet there is no sensation during sex.

Hello again,

When things are apparent clinically, then no investigation is required in my view. Best is to keep patience for 1-2 month.

I am not aware for such investigation for penis. To, check sensation usually neurologist in other part of body. You can contact them if such investigation can be done for penis.

Follow-up: Had protected sex, no pleasure, slight warmth, taking Sertraline and anti-depressants 9 hours later
Thank you Doctor.

I also wanted to know what is the reason that masturbation feels good and yet there is no sensation during sex. Logically there should be no sensation in both the activities.

Hello again,

Just go with previous answers for reply. It is discussed in detail there.

Sensation occur due to orgasm. Other time you feel only warm.

What sensation you have during masturbation, or while holding penis? Is it tingling or numbness or anything else?

What I can describe it as a kind of sensation of the 'nerves' which gives a tingling sensation throughout the body.

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 14 minutes later
Hello again,

Then it is abnormal. Sensation like this occur only during orgasm, not by holding penis only. This sensation can occur due to vitamins deficiency.

Sorry doctor, I was describing the sensation during orgasm. I was somewhat under the impression that, that was what you were asking.

The sensation during masturbation I would say is localized to the penis and is one of pleasure- that is all that I can describe it as.

I don't feel any particular pleasurable sensation while simply holding the penis without any stroking- only the touch of the hand on the penis, that is all.

I do suffer from a Vitamin D deficiency for which I am taking supplements and my Vitamin D and PTH which had become very low and very high respectively have been at normal levels for the past few years. I recently had the levels checked.

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 57 minutes later
Hello again,

Ok. Got serum B12 and serum folic acid (folate) level done. It will also help in management.

Follow-up: Had protected sex, no pleasure, slight warmth, taking Sertraline and anti-depressants 6 days later
Hi Doctor,

I got my tests done and the results are as follows:

Serum Vitamin B12-167.5pg/ml (Range 200-800 pg/ml)
Serum Folate -5.63 ng/ml Reference range(3.1-17.5 ng/ml)

Please note that I suffer from Osteomalacia and am currently on Shelcal -1500 mg and Rocaltrol-0.25 mcg per day. The blood tests for Vitamin D3 and PTH is normal. These were done around a month back. I have decreased my psychiatric medicines after consulting my doctor and discontinued propecia(finasteride).

Please do advise me on how to proceed. Thank you so much for your excellent diagnosis.

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later
Hello again,

Continue psychiatric medicine as advised by your psychiatrist in current doses. Start B12 preparation like: Cap Rejunex once in a day.

Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.

Wish you good health.
Regards.

Dear Doctor,

I will definitely refer you to my friends and family.

I spoke to my GP and he suggested the following. I would like your expert opinion on which treatment I should take ( the one given below or Rejunex):

methycobal - injection b12 alternate days 1000mcg intramuscular for 5 days
then once a week 1000 mcg for one month
then once a month for 3 months

Folic acid - 5mg -daily for three months

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 5 hours later
Hello again,

In my opinion Rejunex and folic acid combination for 3 month is sufficient. Repeat B12 level after 1 month.

Follow-up: Had protected sex, no pleasure, slight warmth, taking Sertraline and anti-depressants 10 hours later
Ok Doctor. Do you think that I need to get my T3/T4 and TSH levels checked?

Should I get any other tests done for any other vitamin or other deficiencies?

Hello again,

Checked t3 t4 and tsh if not done before.
You can have complete health check from some lab for reassurance and baseline values for future.