Had protected sex, felt pulses in vagina later. What could have caused it?

Question
Dear Ask The Doctor: My girlfriend and I had sex we used protection rand I check the condoms afterwards to see if they didn't break which they didn't. The morning after and she hard slight pulses on the right side of her vagina. There is somedays she has them and others she doesn't what an be the possible causes?
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Mitaly 9 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

You have provided me with good information but it will help me in suggesting you better if you could explain the symptoms in detail.

1)Is there any pain in the vagina or genital area?
2)Is there any associated discharge?
3)Kindly explain what do you mean by pulses,is it felt by her?
4)Are her periods regular?
5)Did she get her periods after the sexual encounter?
6)How long has she been feeling the symptoms?

Anticipatng for your reply.
Regards!

Follow-up: Had protected sex, felt pulses in vagina later. What could have caused it? 10 hours later
Hello thank you for answering. Her period is not regular it varies, she feels little pulses in the right side of her vagina. She hasn't had a discharge or anything like that. She still feels the same slight pulsations today. So far it has been for about a week but does not bother her she just says she can feel them. She does not get her period after sexual encounters. Hope this can help.

Answered by Dr. Mitaly 10 hours later

Thanks for the additional information provided.

Pulsations in the vaginal area in the absence of any other symptom are sometimes normal as it can be due to sexual arousal and is felt especially when the person is relaxed. It might be present for sometime and then disappear on its own.

Other than that, if her periods are not regular then it can also be indicative of hormonal disturbances in the body.

Since you had used protection during the act, possibility of pregnancy is also not there. Ask her to relax and if there is development of any other symptom as pain, discharge then it would be better to get a pelvic examination done.

Hope I answered all your questions. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries. Wish you Good Health.

Regards!

Follow-up: Had protected sex, felt pulses in vagina later. What could have caused it? 1 hour later
Thank you for your support one last Question. If we had the intercourse more than once on a single day say on the third time we performed it unprotected what are the possibilities of pregnancy?

Answered by Dr. Mitaly 1 hour later

Thanks for the follow up.

Unprotected intercourse always carries a risk of pregnancy but chances are more when it is done on the ovulation days of woman which are the most fertile days and are between 9 to 16 days in a regular 28 to 30 day cycle.

Since you have mentioned your partner's cycles are irregular it is difficult to comment.

Hope this helps!