Had protected sex, developed sore throat, tonsillitis, headache, fever, myalgia and rash. Took HIV test, all negative. Suggest?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
hello doctor, i had protected sex ( non vaginal, non anal,) with another male, whose status is unknown. he also used condom. my condom loosened out but he was pretty sure he had on it. after 5 weeks, i developed sorethroat, tonsillitis with exudate, headach, fever, myalgia, and rash all over the body. i immediately took dna pcr hiv1 test and elisa and igm immunoglobulins for EBV . all came negative. again after 7th week and and 8th week i took tridot. both came negative. some dermatologist suggested me to take hiv 2 pcr test. so at 55th day of exposure ( today) i took the test. result in a week. but worried a lot. please please suggest
Posted Fri, 11 Oct 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
HIV tests

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for choosing Health care magic for your query.
I understand your worries about HIV infection and AIDS.
I am glad to know that you had used precautions during your episode of sexual contact.
Barriers (condoms) definitely reduce the chances of infection.
Let me give you few details about HIV 1 and 2 and HIV testing.
HIV I and HIV II are the types of HIV.
Both these are transmitted by sexual contact, through blood and from mother to child.
Both cause AIDS.
Worldwide the predominant virus is HIV I.
HIV II is more common in West African Countries.
In India, predominant is HIV I.
HIV testing is crucial and to announce a patient as HIV positive very sensitive tests are available.
PCR test for DNA of HIV is one of the very sensitive and specific tests available and useful in early diagnosis of HIV infection.
If you have tested negative for HIV I, there are less chances of you testing positive for HIV II.
I suggest you wait for the results and do not get stressed unnecessarily.
I hope I have answered your query satisfactorily.
Please do not hesitate to get back with clarifications, if any.

Follow-up: Had protected sex, developed sore throat, tonsillitis, headache, fever, myalgia and rash. Took HIV test, all negative. Suggest? 16 hours later
madam, thanks for the answer and reassurence. but, given the fact that we both used protection, if one failed other had it on. and never participated in penetrative act, is it still possible for any infection from hiv? and i dont know where these symptoms came from. i had viral flu with mild faint macular rash on trunk, shoulders and maculopapular dots on forearms. my palms were itching but no rash. now they are peeling the skin. i am scared thinking about those symptoms just because EBV came negative. now i dont have any symptoms ( almost 3 weeks passed) but peeling of skin. even after 8 weeks of tridot negative, pcr dna 1 negative, twice elisa negative is any result going to change? im very scared. please suggest
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
HIV Transmission, EBV

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back to Health care magic.
Apologies for the late reply.
HIV is transmitted mainly by sexual intercourse (vaginal, anal, oral)
Next common mode is through blood transfusions, infected needles and instruments.
Then comes transmission from mother to child.
If no penetrative act has occurred then the chances of infection is reduced to nil.
Let me give you some information about EBV.
EBV stands for Epstein-Barr Virus.
It is a Herpes virus which causes a condition called glandular fever characterized by fever, sore throat and swelling of lymph nodes.
I suggest you get in touch with a skin doctor who can examine your skin rashes/ peeling and suggest appropriate therapy.
Please wait for the test results.
Wishing you speedy recovery.