Had protected sex, cramps, little bleeding. History of anxiety. Unusual period due to stress?

Infertility Specialist
Hi, I am terrified that I might be pregnant, even though I know that the chances are low. I've had sex four times in the past two weeks and should be on my period now. My boyfriend wore a condom each time we had sex and didn't "cum" any of the times. I was a virgin until two weeks ago and have a history of anxiety. Today I've had really bad cramps (the worst in a long time) but I haven't been bleeding much. Am I just having a weird period because I've been really stressed or is there an actual chance I could be pregnant?
Posted Mon, 10 Sep 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later

I have read your query & I understand your concerns. Following is my reply to your query:

1) The cramps you had could be a sign of you getting periods. So wait for 3 days to get periods.

2) If you get slight bleeding and not normal menstrual flow also is indicative of your periods as flow might vary few times.

3) You are unlikely to be pregnant. If you are still very much concerned, You get get serum beta hCG test which is accurate is predicting pregnancy.

I hope I answered your query. I will be available for any followup queries you have.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol
IVF & Infertility Specialist.
Follow-up: Had protected sex, cramps, little bleeding. History of anxiety. Unusual period due to stress? 43 hours later
As a follow-up, my period is probably just being weird due to the high levels of stress I've been under recently, and so the fact that yesterday (the day after the really, really bad cramps) I was having a fairly normal flow and cramp amount but today have had nothing is probably more of a sign of the intense mental stress of the past four or more weeks than anything else, correct?
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 5 hours later
Hi, you are exactly right. Stress leads to variation in flow duration and amount. Try to reduce the stress levels. Please accept my answer if no more queries. Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol.