Ask a Urologist   »  

Had protected sex and noticed bumps on penis. Is it serious?

Question
Hello, few days ago I noticed I had two bumps/pimples on my penis shaft and both of them had white heads. I popped them both and one of them was little painful but they haven't healed completely and stay a little shiny. I shaved few days prior the bumps show and I had a sex with a condom so I do not think it is sex related disease. I had a similar one few years back and I stayed for 1 months but eventually went away. Could it be serious? And I am willing to provide a picture if needed. Thank you.
Posted Wed, 12 Dec 2012 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Stephen Christensen 4 hours later
Hello. I'm Dr. Christensen.

Although it isn't possible to diagnose your condition without an examination, it sounds like you're dealing with a minor case of folliculitis, which is caused by a bacterial infection of your hair follicles.

The bacteria that cause folliculitis are normally present on your skin, but they can enter the follicles when your skin's immune barriers get disrupted. Shaving is one of the primary risk factors for folliculitis.
It isn't at all uncommon for people who shave their pubic area to develop folliculitis; this region is richly colonized by bacteria, and the warmth and moisture around your genitals encourages bacterial growth.

If the bumps on your penis are getting better, there probably isn't anything you need to do to treat them. If not, see your doctor to confirm your diagnosis and receive appropriate treatment.
'
Hope this helps. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Good luck!