Had protected sex and having red bumps on waist line. Should I be worried about herpes?

HIV AIDS Specialist
About three weeks ago I had protected sex. I can't tell if these bumps were present before but I did notice them after. They are just on my waist line below my belly button. They began as two but over the past weeks have increased in number now 7. I went to the clinic and was told though is resembles herpes it is not herpes as I did not report any feelings of pain. They only hurt when I touch the open sores or my boxers rub on the or when I shower. I requested a hsv1&2 bloodtest which came out negative. These spots are tiny red bumps that eventually release a clear fluid then dry up. They have been there for almost a month now and I'm getting worried. I'm worried this could be herpes and will like a second opinion. I can send pictures if needed. Thank you
Posted Thu, 12 Dec 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: HSV,hairfolliculitis,Dermatitisherpetiformis likel Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for posting your query. You had protected sex. So your genitals are protected from HIV/STD whereas the adjacent area of genitals were uncovered and were at risk for STD, but it might be rare to have such incidence. Your lesions do not look like to be Herpes Zoster. Herpes simplex at lower abdominal wall area is unlikely. But can occur rarely. Pain is predominant symptom only in Herpes Zoster and not in Herpes simplex. It may or may not be painful. As you described clear fluid came out from the blister is more towards Herpes simplex. The picture sent by you also looks like that. You mentioned that HSV 1&2 negative. Ig G for HSV 1&2 may be negative in a fresh and recent infection. Ig M for 1& 2 may take sometime to appear in blood. So the negative result does not rule out the same.But the vesicle would not persist upto a month in HSV, but can occur as a new recurrent lesions. Next possibility is Hair folliculitis. But here clear fluid would not emit. The vesicles would contain pus. Next possibility is Dermatitis Herpetiformis which is not related to your sex contact. Consult your dermatologist, he will be in a position to give you better treatment after examination. Dr S XXXXXXX
Follow-up: Had protected sex and having red bumps on waist line. Should I be worried about herpes? 14 minutes later
How long should i wait to have a more accurate test result for hsv1&2
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: Antigen test by 4 weeks, Antibody test by 12 weeks Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome back. You can get HIV Antigen test (DNA PCR, P24 Antigen) are more reliable and conclusive by another a week. HIV Antibody 1&2 test will become more conclusive after 12 weeks after the high risk exposure. I hope you got that point. Dr S.Murugan
Follow-up: Had protected sex and having red bumps on waist line. Should I be worried about herpes? 2 minutes later
Sorry are we talking about hiv r hsv?o
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: HSV may take 3-5 weeks time to appear in blood Detailed Answer: Hi, I am sorry. It is my mistake that I gave you information about HIV instead of HSV. Extremely sorry. HSV Antibodies will likely to occur around 3-4 weeks after the infection.If one is already having antibodies against HSV1, HSV2 may take a little more time to appear in the blood stream (say, one more week). Anyhow by appearance and certain investigations from the lesion will be more reliable than the antibody test in the diagnosis of HSV. Dr S XXXXXXX
Follow-up: Had protected sex and having red bumps on waist line. Should I be worried about herpes? 3 minutes later
Does the last message mean your diagnosis will be hsv?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: HSV 2 is the most probable diagnosis Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome back My first diagnosis; Extra genital HSV2 Infection. Next is Hair folliculitis. Third possibility is Dermatitis Herpetiformis -Itching will be predominant Other investigations like Tzanck test, pus culture and investigation for celiac disease may be necessary to rule out or confirm the diagnosis It is possible to arrive at the diagnosis by the dermatologist who examines you. Dr S.Murugan