Had protected sex after abortion. Getting pregnancy symptoms and started spotting. Implantation bleeding?

I had an abortion feb 28th. All of my pregnancy symptoms disappeared fairly quickly. I got what seemed to be a period for 5 days starting march 17th, then I had sex march 31st, but with a condom. Here's my problem. I started feeling pregnant again. First, six days after sex, i had light cramping for only a few minutes then I noticed two tiny dark spots of blood in my underwear which I thought could be implantation bleeding. Then my breasts got bigger, felt fuller and were tingly, my lower back ached and I had a lot of creamy discharge. I took three pregnancy tests, only one had a very faint line. It is now 21 days after sex. I'm wondering if I could be pregnant again or this is all left over issues from abortion????
Posted Sun, 12 May 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

Here is a summary of what you are stating:
1. You had an abortion on 2/28
2. On 3/17, 17 days after the abortion, you had bleeding that you assumed was your period.
3. On 3/31, 31 days after the abortion, you had PROTECTED intercourse
4. On 4/6, 37 days after the abortion, you had light cramping, spotting, and a change in vaginal discharge

Here is what I think:
1. It is virtually impossible for you to complete a cycle within 17 days of ending a pregnancy - the 3/17 bleeding was NOT related to a cycle
2. It typically takes about 4-6 weeks to resume a normal cycle after a pregnancy ends (slightly longer than normal because it takes time for the HCG levels to drop and un-suppress your cycle)
3. Around ovulation, women often experience cramping, a change in vaginal discharge (like you describe) and sometimes a small amount of breakthrough bleeding related to a brief, abrupt drop in estrogen levels.
4. I believe that your symptoms on 4/6 MIGHT have been related to ovulation - or certainly are just cycle related.
5. A pregnancy test will turn positive about 2-3 weeks after unprotected intercourse and conception.
6. It is possible, depending on how far along you were, that the test was still slightly positive

Here is what you need to do:
1. Do not panic - it is VERY UNLIKELY that you are pregnant again
2. Repeat the pregnancy test in one week from the prior check
3. Continue to use condoms until this is sorted out
4. If the pregnancy test is positive, then call your doctor to have a blood test to confirm and schedule an ultrasound
5. I predict that you will get another bleed (your cycle) within the next week
6. If you are having ANY pain, then call your doctor!

I hope that this helps. Please ask if you have any additional followup questions!