Had protected sex. Took all HIV and VDRL test which came negative. Any further test needed?

Dear Doctor,

Iam 31 years MALE,

I had Protected sex with sex worker on XXXXXXX 2013.

March i went for HIV SPOT Test and HIV ELISA Test Result= NEGATIVE

Also march i went for VDRL Test Result = NON REACTIVE

April Month again i went HIV-1 RTPCR ASSAY (Qualitative) Taqman Real Time PCR Assay
Result = HIV-1 RNA WAS Not Detected

July Month Again I went for VDRL (RPR) Test Result = NON REACTIVE

Also HIV Councelor confirmed after checking my all reports i am healthy on April month.

From January i never had sex with any one till now.

Please advice me any other tests are required because shortly i am going to marry, i confussed mentally.

Please tell me why the VDRL test and window period for that
also let me know why the RNA PCR test and what is the window period for that.
Posted Tue, 3 Sep 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 1 hour later

I have read your query with diligence.

In my opinion, you do not require any other tests because the major STIs (Sexually Transmitted Infections) HIV and Syphilis is ruled out in you.

My best wishes for your marriage. Do not be confused mentally. Everything is clear for you at the present. You do not have HIV or Syphilis.

VDRL test is to test for Syphilis, a STI. Window period is a minimum of 3 months. RNA PCR test is specific test for HIV. This is a more appropriate test when compared to the spot tests and HIV ELISA. The window period for RNA PCR test is 2 weeks.

Hope this information helps you and eases your confusion.

Wish you good health and a happy life ahead.
Follow-up: Had protected sex. Took all HIV and VDRL test which came negative. Any further test needed? 4 days later
Dear Dr.Shanthi,

Thank you for providing the information reg my question.
Please advice for below issue.

Problem : Dry Penis I do masturbation twice every day,
I particularly noticed Dry Penis, when ever i masturbate or when its erect my penis head will become dry and also skin will peel lightly surrounding glans. again it will become normal if i am not doing masturbation.

I searched in Google and came to know something related about this in below link
According to that URL, they suggested to use MAN1 MAN OIL but i am unable to find the same product in Bangalore. please advice any alternate product.

As you confirmed earlier and According to VDRL report i am not infected with any type of STD. so i am feeling my issue related to aggressive masturbation but it is no painful to the touch and no Itching.

Please check the URL which i mentioned and suggest me because i noticed dry penis skin only when ever its erect and when ever i do masturbation hardly.

Waiting for your reply.
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 14 hours later
Good morning XXXXXXX

I have read your follow up query diligently. I have checked the URL provided by you.

Here is the solution to your problems.

- Masturbate once daily. Use Nivea Moisturizing cream with Jaboba oil and Vitamin E mildly when you masturbate on your penis. It will act as lubricant and also soften the penile skin.

Here is the link to it. You may want to see it.

- You could purchase this creme from any ' Health and Glow' outlets.

- Do not practice rough masturbation. Try softly. You would get more pleasure and enjoy what you do.

I hope this helps you.

Good day ahead!
Follow-up: Had protected sex. Took all HIV and VDRL test which came negative. Any further test needed? 13 hours later
Hi Shanthi,

Thank you for providing the information, sorry again i am asking same question regarding HIV , VDRL and RNA PCR tests.

Once again please check mentioned reports date between test to test in my first question and let me know if any tests are required.

Dry Penis is not a STD disease ?

Also Please tell me what is the difference between DNA PCR Test , RNA PCR Test and HIV P24 Test what is the purpose of these tests.

Also please tell me types of HIV and STD tests in order and window period for the tests.

If possible please share your contact number and clinic Address.

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
No further testing is required

Detailed Answer:

Dry penis is not an STD. All the 3 tests - DNA PCR Test, RNA PCR Test, and HIV P24 Test are all antigen tests for HIV. HIV is a viral infection caused by RNA virus. All the 3 tests mentioned above look for presence of HIV particles within the human body.

In simple terms, it is searching for HIV virus within the human body. All the 3 tests are negative in you including VDRL. So, in my view you do not have HIV or Syphilis in your body.

HIV types are 1 and 2 which are again sub-divided from A to N. In India, we see only HIV type 1 mostly type C.

You need not worry about the in depth details of the same.

Please feel relaxed that you do not have any STI as of now.

Please do check my profile at this link.

Follow-up: Had protected sex. Took all HIV and VDRL test which came negative. Any further test needed? 11 hours later
Dear Dr. Shanthi,

Thank you for clarifying all my doubts.
Now please suggest me how to avoid pregnancy because this month end i am going to get marry. suggest me how to avoid pregnancy without condoms.

Is there any low dose pregnancy avoid tablets ?

Please suggest me.
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 40 hours later
Brief Answer:
To avoid pregnancy, use unwanted 72 or Ipill

Detailed Answer: XXXXXXX

To avoid pregnancy, you may ask your wife to take a pill of unwanted 72 or Ipill within 72 hours of unprotected sexual intercourse.

If you have more than twice sexual intercourse also, a single tablet of this within 72hrs of intercourse should help in preventing pregnancy. You need not use condoms for this. Only ill effect is that it does not protect against any STIs.

I hope this helps you. Advance wishes for your marriage.

Good luck and best wishes.