Had protected sex. Tested negative for HIV 1 and 2. Developed rashes on shoulders and back. Concerned

Nephrologist
Question
Hello doctor i had protected sex three times in year 2010 (between Feb to September) with escorts (using double condom). In 2011 december i had done HIV blood card test, It came negative for both HIV 1 and 2. Now i developed some rash on my shoulders at the back. These rash looks like small red pimples and it is itching. I am confused weather these are HIV rash or Heat rash.
Posted Sat, 18 Aug 2012 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 9 minutes later
Hello

Thanks for the query

You have got the HIV test as negative and you have taken adequate precaution by using a double condom so it is not likely that these rashes are related to HIV.
These rashes look more like rashes related to some local irritation like sweat.
The ideal drug to take in such rashes is a levocetrizine at night and also calamine lotion for local application to reduce the itching, prickly heat powder is also another good option. If these rashes persist or you develop fever then please see a physician immediately.

I hope I have answered your query, if you have any further queries I will be happy to respond

I wish you good health

Follow-up: Had protected sex. Tested negative for HIV 1 and 2. Developed rashes on shoulders and back. Concerned 8 minutes later
If these rashes persists for long even after taking levocetrizine and if fever comes does it mean i can have HIV. Is HIV blood card test done after a intercourse period of approximately 11 months give wrong predictions.

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 11 hours later
Hello

Thanks for the query

Since your HIV has come as negative and that too the test was taken well after the window period (window period is when the HIV infection could come as HIV negative. Window period is generally considered in the first 12 weeks after contact) it is not possible for the HIV to be causing these rashes.

HIV can give wrong predictions only during the window period which is generally considered as 3 months.

I hope I have answered your query

I wish you good health