Had protected sex. Now have flu like symptoms, fever, aches. Could it be acute retroviral syndrome?

Good morning;
About two weeks ago I had protected sex for the first time with a man I'm newly dating. We used a condom but he didn't come. Now, I am experiencing flu-like symptoms (fever, aches, etc) but I also live with a roommate who was recently sick. Since he didn't come and we used a condom, should I be worried about acute retroviral syndrome here?
Also, I am not experiencing a rash or swollen lymph nodes. Just a low-grade fever and some joint pain/headache.

Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 5 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I do understand your concern.
The symptoms you are experiencing are unlikely to be that of Acute Retroviral syndrome. Since it has been only 2 weeks ,it is very less likely to be HIV.
Seroconversion illnesss ( which occurs when the body starts developing antibodies to HIV) of HIV is characterized by Fever, ,joint pain , lymphadenopathy and a reddish rash on skin. This takes place after 3 to 5 weeks of viral entry into body.
Further, since you had used a condom, the chances of getting HIV are negligible. However, if you want to be absolutely sure, you can get a HIV ELISA test done after a week, The test would be negative ( in the rare possibility that you contracted the virus) if it is done now.
I think that you have symptoms of some minor flu ( viral fever) and I think Tablet Paracetamol ( Tablet Tylenol) 400 mg taken as and when required (upto 4 tablet daily) will help a lot. If the pain does not go away, you can take Tablet Motrin 600 mg 1 tablet as and when required ( upto 4 tablets daily)
In addition, take some rest and plenty of fluids. Everything should be alright in a week's time.
If you have any further queries, I will be happy to answer them.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Dr Sudarshan