Had protected sex. Have some mouth ulcers , body pains and skin rash. Chances of contracting HIV?

Question
Had protected sex with someone not sure exactly If hiv is positive or negative. I have some ulcers in mouth after 3 months also some pain in body parts rashes on skin also.. Is there something I need to get test of also what tests should I undergo??
Posted Fri, 2 Aug 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Ahmed Bahaa 2 hours later
Hi, welcome to healthcare magic.

Conversion of HIV through sex, although reported is low and similar to occupational exposure(0.1-0.3%).

The probability of transmission depends on presence of trauma, bleeding, site of ejaculate and HIV viral load in the ejaculate.

You should have serological tests for syphilis, hepatitis B and HIV at 6,12 and 24 weeks after exposure.
As for the rash, ulcers and pain you should visit your doctor as soon as possible as you need thorough assessment (history and examination).

I am interested to know the results of your tests and doctor visit and to advise you according to these results.

I hope I have answered your query and will be happy to answer more questions.

Good luck.
Dr. Ahmed Bahaa.

Follow-up: Had protected sex. Have some mouth ulcers , body pains and skin rash. Chances of contracting HIV? 4 hours later
Okay. Can let me know how much these tests cost?? Also some of the symptoms of hiv? Best place to get these tests done

Answered by Dr. Ahmed Bahaa 5 hours later

It would cost you around 1000 INR, You could get it done in any standard laboratories like Ranbaxy, Thyrocare et all.

As for the symptoms of the primary HIV infection, it may pass asymptomatic or may present as flu like symptoms.

It presents after one or two months after exposure. Some of these symptoms are:
Sore throat, fever, headache, rash, diarrhea, muscle and joint pain, enlarged lymph nodes especially in the neck, mouth and genital ulcers.

I am waiting for the results of the tests and your doctor visit to help you choose your options.

Thank you,
Dr. Ahmed Bahaa.

Follow-up: Had protected sex. Have some mouth ulcers , body pains and skin rash. Chances of contracting HIV? 12 minutes later
If found is there any cure??

Answered by Dr. Ahmed Bahaa 5 minutes later
Dear user,
I do not want you to worry about something we are not sure of.
We should have the tests done first then we can manage accordingly.
Anyway, I want to reassure you that even if found as you say, there are many drugs to be used to avoid progression and complications.
I wish you speedy recovery.
Dr. Ahmed Bahaa.

Follow-up: Had protected sex. Have some mouth ulcers , body pains and skin rash. Chances of contracting HIV? 6 days later
I have uploaded the report can you please check these out

Answered by Dr. Ahmed Bahaa 19 hours later

Thank you for uploading your report.

You have no antibodies to HIV, this means that most probably the virus has not entered your body.
Please repeat this test at 6,12 and 24 weeks to make sure.

Still you have to visit your doctor to examine the ulcers in your mouth.
Waiting for more questions.

Good luck.
DR. Ahmed Bahaa.

Follow-up: Had protected sex. Have some mouth ulcers , body pains and skin rash. Chances of contracting HIV? 43 minutes later
1.This test was done after 12 weeks . so i would be getting this test done after 24 weeks.
2.Regarding ulcers in my mouth and some rashes on my skin,i consulted a dermatologist. He told me that you have bad throat that's why you are getting these rashes and marks.
Thanks for your support as well.I was too scared for that.

Answered by Dr. Ahmed Bahaa 20 hours later
I was very happy to hear this from you.
Take care next time and have a protection during intercourse.
Don't forget to repeat the test on schedule.
Good luck.
Dr. Ahmed Bahaa.

Follow-up: Had protected sex. Have some mouth ulcers , body pains and skin rash. Chances of contracting HIV? 32 hours later
Thanks for the help ..

Answered by Dr. Ahmed Bahaa 12 hours later
Thank you.