Had protected sex. Have had upset stomach and feeling of pain on sides along with anxiety. STD?

Hi Doctor,

I am suffering from a high level of anxiety surrounding STDs. After a fully protected exposure (with a female I did not really know), I started to read on the internet that protection is not 100% guaranteed against certain STDs. I am now concerned that while there were no issues with the condom, I may have infected myself in the process of removing it or thereafter.

This was 10 days ago - no symptoms but I have had an upset stomach and a feeling of pain on the sides since (along with a high level of anxiety).

1) Is infection immediately following sex possible?
2) Do I have any cause for concern/testing?
2) What symptoms should I be looking for if any from this exposure?

Thank you
Posted Tue, 6 Aug 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 24 minutes later

I have read your query with diligence. I shall surely help you out with this. Do not be over-stressed about it.

You say you had a fully protected exposure. That means to safe you are almost cent percent safe. However, could you please describe in detail about the exposure? We could figure out your chances or risks from the same.

Not everything that is written on the internet is true. It has to be individualized.

Coming to your answers:

1) Yes, infection is possible immediately following a sexual exposure.

2) Testing would be required if this was a risky exposure.

3) Symptoms are vague and can be anything from flu-like symptoms to obvious rashes on the penis.

Awaiting your response.

Follow-up: Had protected sex. Have had upset stomach and feeling of pain on sides along with anxiety. STD? 18 minutes later
Thanks, so for more detail:

The girl was someone who I met in a party. Not a CSW but I do not know much about her.

The condom was put on by her before any sort of contact and I did not see any obvious sores on her.

Immediately after I pulled out I removed the condom while still erect and I guess this is where my worry starts. I am not sure whether any fluids would have touched my urethra and I did not shower until a few hours after (if that would have helped).

How long can STD bacteria live outside the body in fluids etc. Have there been cases of such a transmission?

Please let me know what specific details you need. I am hoping that it is just anxiety and thinking that despite the low odds "anything is possible".

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 7 hours later

Thanks for the details.

The viruses that cause STDs do not live in any of the fluids outside the human body. A few bacteria do survive for some time.

No, there hasn't been any case of such transmission.

Since it was a protected sexual intercourse, please be rest assured that you are safe.

In your case, I do not think of possibility of any STD.

I hope this helps you. Please be relaxed and take care!