Had protected sex. Getting white discharge. Could it be yeast infection?

Question
We had a protected sex 4 days ago with the use of condoms. now i am getting white discharge coming out from the vagina. The first day is quite a lot but now it is decreasing. This is my first sex and my first time encounter this discharge. could it be a yeast infection or my allergic reaction with the condom? According to my calendar also, that day was my ovulation day. but i hope it got nothing to do with conception. its fading away now since started 4 days ago. I noticed the amount of discharge is decreasing. And now it only happens when I am urinating. Any idea?
Posted Fri, 26 Jul 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 hour later
Dear patient,

Thanks for your concerns. The first thing that needs to be ruled out with such a discharge would be proliferation of excessive bacteria or yeast or an infection in your vagina and cervix. The best way to accomplish that is being seen by a medical provider that can perform a complete pelvic exam with a speculum and send samples to see under the microscope.

Truly yours,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN

Follow-up: Had protected sex. Getting white discharge. Could it be yeast infection? 7 minutes later
Hi, Thanks for your reply. I would like to ask whether it can be a sign of pregnancy or not? I am not looking forward for pregnancy any time soon and according to my knowledge also, the sign wont show that fast.

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 6 hours later

Thanks for your concerns.

I agree with you, those symptoms are not typical of pregnancy and usually early signs of pregnancy such as painful breasts and nausea appear after a missed period.

Yours truly,

Follow-up: Had protected sex. Getting white discharge. Could it be yeast infection? 27 hours later
There is a big chance for it to be just a common yeast infection. what is the medication that i need to get in order to treat it?

thanks for the follow up. Most patients with a yeast infection are succesfully treated with a 3 day course of either intravaginal clotrimazole or miconazole

yours truly

Dr Brenes Salazar