Had protected sex. Condom slipped. Noticed sore throat, stiff neck and body pain. Could be due to HIV infection?

HIV AIDS Specialist
Question
im 29, recently came out and was never sexually active until recently. I had a one night stand with a guy almost a month ago who I met online and one less than 2 weeks ago with a guy I met at a club, both white males mid-twenties to early thirties from NY and CA. I had sex with both (I was the bottom) and we used protection with lubricant and both came outside of me after they climaxed. With the first guy the condom slipped off but he put it back on and with the second guy he wore a condom. I am freaking out now that I now could have HIV. I think I have HIV because I have had a bit of a sore throat, a stiff neck every now and then and some aches and pains every now and then in my legs, knees and biceps. No fever. I am starting to worry that maybe the condom broke or they slipped it off without me knowing or that the fact that condoms are 100% foolproof. The reason why I am confused as to whether I am symptomatic or not is because for the last 2 weeks I have been on vacation and in that time have done 10 days of heavy drinking, dancing, smoking cigarettes and little sleep and water and 5 days of recreational drug usage (weed, cocaine and ecstasy). I also in the middle of this ran an outdoor survival race for over an hour in the heat and worked out the next day. I also had a sinus infection in mid-August. Am I being paranoid and a hypochondriac or is the risk to HIV more likely than anything else?
Posted Wed, 25 Sep 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
HIV Risk is remote. Symptoms due to throat infecti

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX,
Welcome to XXXXXXX

You had two occasions of sexual encounter as anal sex. One was totally protected .Another you had a condom slip. Condom slip and put it back, means it had slipped before ejaculation. Am I correct? Then he ejaculated with condom in place. Condoms offer a high degree of protection against HIV. So your risk towards HIV is remote.
Moreover sore throat and body pain are common problem for everybody even in the absence of HIV and even before HIV era. Especially when you are having sinus problem and you had very hectic time then in your vacation and tight scheduled work with smoking, drinking , using recreational drugs and consumed water at different places are all increasing your risk for a throat infection with some bacteria or a virus other than HIV.
So your problem is very unlikely to be due to HIV and there is nothing to worry. Anyhow it is better for you to have HIV Combo/DUO test or DNA PCR test by this time and rule out the possibility totally so that you can relax better.
DR S.Murugan

Follow-up: Had protected sex. Condom slipped. Noticed sore throat, stiff neck and body pain. Could be due to HIV infection? 14 minutes later
Thank you. Some other symptoms include tingling in my toes when i am sitting with them bent and some tingling in hands. Also some occasional back pain and occasional pain in my right armpit And a slightly whitish tongue (only on top). Does that change your belief that the risk is remote?
Also as i am really naive about HIV i read that HIV is not an easily transferred disease ( WWW.WWWW.WW , not that i plan on having anymore one night stands or would or have ever had unprotected anal sex (this whole thing has scared some serious sense in me) what is the likelihood of contracting HIV from unprotected sex in these instances:
Unprotected anal sex with an HIV + partner who ejaculates in you?
Unprotected anal sex with an HIV + partner who pulls out before ejaculating?
Unprotected anal sex with an HIV - partner who ejaculates in you?
Unprotected anal sex with an HIV - partner who pulls out before ejaculating?
I ask these questions because i am really naive about this and dont want to be mislead by partners or the internet.
Thank you for your help and knowledge!.

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Symptoms vague HIV risk remote.Safe sex is better.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

The symptoms explained by you are not specific to HIV and that doesn't make your risk change. So still your risk is remote only.
Answers for your questions:
1.Risk is high as a recipient in anal sex
2.Still the risk is there as the pre-ejaculatory fluid can be infectious - But lesser
3.There lies a possibility that the HIV negative partner may be a HIV infected, but in window period - so you are having risk
4.Lesser risk.
So protected sex is always reliable and not an unprotected one.
DR S.Murugan

Follow-up: Had protected sex. Condom slipped. Noticed sore throat, stiff neck and body pain. Could be due to HIV infection? 18 hours later
Thanks again. Would you say any of these symptoms are indicative of any STD/STI?

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
symptoms except on tongue not related to HIV/STD

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
Symptoms like tingling of toes and hands , back pain, armpit pain are not related to STD/STI/HIV. White coating of tongue can occur with HIV, but have to be seen by a clinician to confirm or rule out the possibility of HIV.
But I feel that you are free from HIV/STDs
Dr S.Murugan