Had protected sex. Blood test, liver test and urine test done. Should I consider more test for STI or STD?

Jul 2012

Dear Doctor,
I am male aged 29, this is regarding STI and STD's.
I have had (in January 22,2012) a couple of times protected intercourse with sex workers, i am 100% sure there was no break of condoms, no body fluids exchanged during the intercourse. Further to this after 80 apx days after intercourse (April 6th 2012) i have made some tests like Elisa Immuno assay which said HIV antibodies 1 and 2 are negative, my blood reports say i have a very normal profile, liver function test and urine analysis say my reports are absolutely normal. Further to this now recently after having a gap of 170 days (July 8th 2012) i have further now taken one more time the Immuno Assay(Elisa) and western blot tests which came out negative for HIV antibodies 1 and 2. I have taken up the TPHA which also came out non reactive. Semen culture and sensitivity showed no growth of any organisms. Urine culture tests showed negative smear for gonococus.
Please kindly advise if should i consider to go for one more round of tests regarding to STI or STD's.
I am a bit worried because i see and read on internet that window periods for such tests can vary from person to person, some say its about 12 weeks, some people say its about 3 months to 6 months. Kindly clarify what would be the correct window period.
best regards
Posted Wed, 10 Oct 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 37 minutes later
Hi there.
I read your detailed history with interest. Thanks for making it easy for us with exact specifics.
Yes, you are absolutely correct. Albeit, i dont envisage any problem in your case. You seem to have done an ELISA test almost six months apart & this should suffice & you are in the clear! The window period is ambiguous & whether 170 days or 180 days is semantics. Also, i notice you practice safe sex & this is an added from a medical view-point, absolutely nothing to fear!
Wish you good health & trust this has clarified things for you. Cheers!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Dermatologist & Venereologist XXXXXXX Hospital, Bangalore, India
Follow-up: Had protected sex. Blood test, liver test and urine test done. Should I consider more test for STI or STD? 11 minutes later
Dear Doctor,
Thanks a lot, yes this was always in my mind to practice safe intercourse.
Yes i am cleared now.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 18 minutes later
Good for you XXXXXX. I wonder if you could then close this query & send in your feedback on the review panel as else, it shows up as a follow-up (kys of technology). Glad the answer provided a closure for you.
Warm Regds,
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD