Had protected oral sex. Getting pimples on pubic area. Can saliva transmit HIV?

Excellent

HIV AIDS Specialist
Question
about 2.5 months back a sex worker in India gave me a condom protected oral sex. She also licked my testicles. There were some broken skin/bruises on my testicles (closed and not bleeding at all). I also checked that girl's mouth for any visible blood and there was not any. I got 02 pimples on my public area after 1 week of this exposure. They got healed in 3 days. After about 2 months I got loose motions which got controlled in 2 days without any medication. I am very concerned now about getting HIV 1) What is my HIV risk 2) Can saliva transmit HIV 3) I read that during initial stage of infection, concentration of hiv is very high in saliva. What if that girl is in her initial stages of infection. Does it pose any risk. 4) Do I need to get tested. I feel very scared to go for the test
Posted Mon, 25 Nov 2013 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Chances for HIV is unlikely. Rule out HIV by test Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for posting your query. The pimples over your pubic area and loose motions were not likely due to HIV. 1. Oral sex carries very low risk for HIV. That too, you had a protected oral sex. So there is no HIV risk for you. Licking the scrotal skin has negligible risk for HIV. 2. Saliva will not transmit HIV, unless it is mixed with blood. 3. High concentration of HIV in saliva in early stage of infection is also not sufficient to transmit the infection. 4. The test for HIV is not necessary for you. But from my experience most patients believe only after looking at the test results. You can choose to test and rule out the possibility of HIV completely. This will relieve unnecessary mental tension. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Dr S.M

Follow-up: Had protected oral sex. Getting pimples on pubic area. Can saliva transmit HIV? 38 minutes later
thank you for your reply. I do not want to go for the test. Can I continue with normal life without any fear. Please tell me if there are slightest of chances of getting this disease. I also suffer from OCD and is taking treatment for the same by a neuro-phychiatrist. I am worried due to presence of bruises on my testicles that time (they were closed and not bleeding) and got exposed to that girl's saliva.

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: Without a test, OCD people can not overcome fear Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome back. You are already having OCD and taking treatment, then how it is possible for you to get rid of the fear for HIV without going for a test. It will not be possible just by soothing and consoling words and that they are not worthy. Even if you had bruises over your scrotal skin, then also the chances of getting HIV through licking the scrotal skin is negligible only. Dr S.Murugan

Follow-up: Had protected oral sex. Getting pimples on pubic area. Can saliva transmit HIV? 18 hours later
Dear Dr, I will go with your advice. What should I do? Forget the incident and move ahead or should i go for a test.

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: Chances for HIV is almost nil. Confirm with test Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, I appreciate your spirit very much. Your chances for getting HIV is less than 0.1%. Presently forget about the sexual encounter you had with that sex worker and carry on your routine without any fear. Have your HIV test after another 2 weeks just to see the negative HIV result and to be happy foe ever. Dr S.Murugan

Follow-up: Had protected oral sex. Getting pimples on pubic area. Can saliva transmit HIV? 10 days later
Dear Dr. I got my HIV test done after 84 days of exposure. The test says "HIV 1&2" negative. Is the test conclusive on 84th day. I do not know which type of HIV test was performed. Is there a need for re-test.

Brief Answer: This report is a conclusive and you are HIV free Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome back. You had the HIV rapid test (antibody test) 12 weeks after the sexual activity. It is a confirmed and conclusive result and you need no further testing and by getting this non-reactive result it is ascertained that you are totally free from HIV. Dr S.Murugan

Follow-up: Had protected oral sex. Getting pimples on pubic area. Can saliva transmit HIV? 44 hours later
Thank you for your response. Just want to know, do all HIV tests available in India will detect HIV antibody after 84 days of window period? What if the lab I went to used some old method which require 6 months of window period. I went to a big lab by the name XXXXXXX Scans in Chennai.

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 52 minutes later
Brief Answer: All rapid tests are reliable.Window period 12 week Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome once again. There are no such things like some test have window period as 6 months and some has 3 months. All the rapid tests equally good and reliable. All these tests will be able to pick up antibodies not later than 3 months. In very rare cases some individuals develop antibodies after 3 months when they are on immuno-suppressive drugs. Otherwise window period will be well within 12 weeks and not later than this. XXXXXXX lab results are reliable only. DR S.Murugan

Follow-up: Had protected oral sex. Getting pimples on pubic area. Can saliva transmit HIV? 18 minutes later
I am currently taking the following medicines since last 3 months - Clonazepam - Arize (Aripiprazole) - Pimid - Fluoxitine - THP2 Does any one of the above affects HIV antibodies? My doctor prescribed "escitalopram" also for 1 week which he replaced with Pimid after a week.

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: Drugs taken not affect the outcome of test result Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Welcome once again. All these drugs have been prescribed for your OCD problem. Neither of these drugs are known to delay HIV antibody formation against HIV. It would not affect the outcome of the test result. So nothing to worry. Your report is final and you are HIV free .No more doubts. DR S XXXXXXX