Had protected intercourse. What are the chances of having STD?

Hello, I had sexual relations a little over a week ago and I'm concerned that I may have contracted an STD. I used a condom during the entire sex act, from start to finish, but I'm nevertheless concerned.
Posted Mon, 6 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 2 hours later

I understand your concern .

As you have used condom while sexual act there is very little chance of getting STD.

Also I would like to know
-Do you have any ulceration /burning/ pain over penis?
-Do you have Fever /swollen glands/malaise?
-Do you have any other symptoms?

Answer the questions to help you better.

Awaiting your reply.

Follow-up: Had protected intercourse. What are the chances of having STD? 7 hours later
No, as far as I can tell I have no fever or swollen glands.

There doesn't appear to be any pus-like discharge from the urethra and as far as I can tell, no ulcers, pustules, or open sores anywhere on the penis or scrotal areas. I also have not experienced any painful urination. My urine is not unusually dark or bad-smelling, but yellow or almost clear. Usually after urinating there are a few drops of urine that can be seen at the opening of the urethra, but no discharge.

I also have a large number of what are called "fordyce spots" on the scrotum and the shaft of my penis. I have a lot of coarse pubic hair that grows in both areas. Usually, wherever a pubic hair is growing, the hair follicle has a small white bump resembling a whitehead pimple.

I do notice, however, that I have a small, reddish spot near the tip of my penis, on the head on the topside. It's about the size of a pin-prick (not even a millimeter in size) and as far as I can tell it's painless. I don't recall seeing it before, but it's not bleeding or oozing any liquid. I'm wondering if it could be the result of a capillary near the surface of the skin.

I have noticed some minor irritation on the left side of the shaft of the penis; a sensation like that of chafing. As I said, I have a lot of coarse pubic hair growing on the scrotum and the shaft (about halfway up from the base). In the warme months this causes me to sweat quite a bit. I'm reluctant to use many types of bath powder, as they contain talc which has been said to be a carcinogen.

When it gets too hot and uncomfortable, I usually take a pair of scissors used for trimming nose hairs and carefully clip away the hair to a shorter length. I never shave down there because I'm afraid of cutting myself (due to the number of fordyce spots) and getting an infection. I always wash the scissors with soap and hot water before and after use. After cutting away some of the excess pubic hair, it's a lot cooler when I wear briefs (I don't like boxers).

I just clipped away some excess hair last week, being careful not to XXXXXXX the skin in the process.

Whenever I have had sexual relations (which have been very few and far between) I have usually used a condom. My sexual activity has been limited to either hand-stimulation or oral/vaginal sex with a condom. I have never engaged in anal sex with any partner. The last time I had sex was 9 days ago. My penis and scrotum were cleansed with a hot towel before a condom was applied. There was some oral contact and then vaginal penetration. At no time did the condom slip off and I was careful when I withdrew. I've read that condoms are effective, when used properly, only against the STD's Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, Syphilis, and HIV. They are not effective against Genital Herpes, HPV, or Pubic Lice/Crabs.

I have examined my penis and scrotal areas daily with a magnifying glass, and can see no signs of lice or their eggs. Moreover, I don't appear to have any small red bite-marks and have not experienced any intense itching. Occasionally there has been some very mild itching that lasts for a second or two at a time; but I think that can be due to either dry skin or sweating.

On occasion (once or twice in the past 9 days) there has been a slight stinging sensation on the left side of the penis shaft; but I think that may be due to skin irritation that I had experienced before having sex the last time. Any place on the shaft where I had previously experienced irritation was covered by the condom. Again I can see no open wounds anywhere on the penis. I am circumcised since birth and have dark areas on the penis where the foreskin was removed. I also have a few protruding veins on the shaft of the penis. I am half-Latino on my father's side and have a penis and scrotum that is darker than the other parts of my body.

Lately I have been applying baby-type lotion to the penis and scrotum to reduce chafing and to make the pubic hair softer. I think the cause of the irritation could be from the ends of my coarse pubic hair rubbing against the skin.

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 20 hours later
Hi again XXXXXX

Thanks for the detailed answers.

You can use moisturizer over the pubic area and shaft of penis.

As you have no symptoms or signs pertaining to STDs you are safe.

You need not worry about STD or HIV.

If you have any further queries do let me know.