Had protected intercourse. Noticed white, sticky jelly-like blob in anus. What could this be?

HIV AIDS Specialist
Question
I have not had sex for over year, and more than 13 weeks afterwards tested negative for all STI's including herpes. Yesterday I had protected, receptive anal sex. My partner says he pulled out before ejaculation. I had a decent look at the condom and it looked intact. He says it also looked ok to him. Several hours later I noticed a sticky jelly-like blob in my anus, white and clear in color. What could this be?
Posted Thu, 2 Aug 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 12 hours later

As you are haven't had sex for years and all your tests were negative for STDs, and as you were not having any symptoms related to STD previously, any type of previous venereal infections can be ruled out.

Regarding your latest protected anal receptive sex, noticing sticky jelly like discharge, hours after the contact possibly may be the seminal ejaculate. Even though your partner pulled out before ejaculation, the first part of ejaculum would have ejaculated without his feeling or maybe he has mislead you into believing that he pulled out before ejaculation or the minor condom breakage during sex also might not have noticed by you both.
Other possibility being - secretions from your own anal mucosa which remained there.

Any how you have to be vigilant and get examined periodically and get your blood checked for up to 90 days after your contact, to get cleared about your status.

Don't get panicky. But be vigilant. Have sex with single known partner as far as possible to avoid unnecessary confusion.

Hope this answers your query. Should you have any more doubts, feel free to ask me. I will be glad to assist you.

Good luck to you!

Dr S.Murugan