Had protected anal sex but unprotected oral sex. Chances of HIV?

Hi, So Last night I was pressured into drinking, I did and the result was I had protected anal sex, but unprotected Oral sex. Me being the type of person who worries about everything, im now paranoid that I may have caught something. Of course I plan on going for tests but through research online, ive come across many sites that claim that the risk of catching HIV through oral is rather unlikely with considering factors. Guess my main question would be if I should be SUPER worried about catching HIV (im bisexual and it was a guy which I know makes the risk higher) or if I should just relax and get tested. What would the chances be with those factors?
Posted Thu, 23 May 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 1 hour later

Thanks for your questions.

Oral sex has been shown to be a less risky activity, but it is not risk free. Again, it depends on the viral load of the person with HIV and the dental health of the person performing oral sex. It’s also worth remembering that other sexually transmitted infections, such as syphilis, herpes and gonorrhea, can be quite easily transmitted through oral sex.

Doctors and researchers can't be sure how many people have been infected with HIV through oral sex. Some think hardly anybody has been infected with HIV from oral sex, but other people think that as many as 3% of infections are due to oral sex.

If you are not sure about the HIV status of your partner, It is important to get the testing for HIV,but please remember that in first three months ( window period) the person may be infected with HIV but tests may be negative, so a repeat testing in 12 weeks is needed to confirm the negative test.

Hope it helps.

I am available for the follow up questions if any.

Follow-up: Had protected anal sex but unprotected oral sex. Chances of HIV? 4 hours later
With the other STD's, are there any warning signs of it? If I was infected with anything else, would I show any symptoms right away? And what symptoms should I look out for? Is there any after the fact precautions I can take to prevent myself from developing any of those std's If he did have any of the viruses? or once its made contact is it just a guessing game?

If I went for a test right now, would the other tests besides the HIV test tell me if I was infected? or do they have that same waiting period?
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 7 hours later

There are other STD like hepatitis B and C, syphilis, Chlamydia, gonorrhea, herpes etc.

Most of them are detectable by the blood tests, urine test and site specific swabs.

Regarding the symptoms, majority of the diseases are asymptomatic for a long period, although urinary discharge, pus, generalized malaise, fever, etc can be the presenting symptoms.

Every disease has its own time in which it may be undetectable by the investigations and needs repeat testing to confirm the negative result.

One day is probably too short a period to detect any thing in blood or other samples, so any drug without the diagnosis is not recommend.