Had protected anal sex. Penis irritation and tested negative for chlamydia, gnorrorea, syphilis and hepatitis. Possibility of herpes?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Question
Over 4 months ago, I had protected anal sex with a man and was given unprotected oral sex and had my anus fingered. About a week later I had some penis irritation (not very sore and no worse when urinating) which doctor diagnosed as NSU. About 3 weeks later I was tested negative for chlamydia, gnorrorea, syphilis and hepatitis. Treatment for the NSU was successful. However about 2 weeks ago I started to get some more penile irritation and some intermittent tingling in glans. Urinating was not painful. I also had one brief clear discharge after waking up. I also had some small pimple-like bumps under foreskin which were not sore and diagnosed as pearly penile papules. There was also some red irritation. These disappeared after using Canesten cream.
I also have intermittent itching around anus and buttocks and scrotum. Doctor diagnosed NSU flare up and the irritation/tingling in penis has improved with medication.
I'm still itchy around buttocks, anus and scrotum though. I also have a strange sensation sometimes in scrotum, just a feeling that "it's there." I also have what look like sebaceous cysts on scrotum, one of which feels a little irritated when touched. The scrotum is also quite red sometimes.
I also have intermittent itching in other areas of body, such as back, arms and legs. I have no other symptoms.
Is herpes a possibility? It's the only STD I haven't been tested for.
Thanks for your time.
Posted Wed, 13 Nov 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
hi and welcome

Detailed Answer:
Herpes is definitely something that shoud have been ruled out. You can do blood test to verify it,not swab test.
Also this can be mixed bacterial and viral infection and it would explain recurences. Secondly,it may be epididimitis or prostatits which require longer course of antibiotics.even up to 3 weeks. I suggest to do ultrasound of prostate and testicles to rile these diagnoses out. Unfortunately,such stds commonly relapses and you have to be patient. Flare ups depend on immune system as well so try to stregthen you immune system with vitamins and avoid stress and other infections. Wish you good health.feel free to ask