Had prostatectomy done. Ejaculating urine while masturbating. What is the problem?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
I had a prostatectomy about three years ago. Recently, I have begun ejaculating urine in substantial quantities when masturbating. What could be the cause of that?

the only medical conditions that I presently have are high blood pressure, high cholesterol and depression. All are controlled by medications although lately my blood pressure has been somewhat higher than normal and I anticipate a change in medication.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 13 Mar 2013 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 3 hours later
Hello ,

You have undergone surgery of Prostatectomy 3 years back. I assume that it was an endoscopic surgery(TURP). During this surgery, Bladder Neck is resected along with the Prostate, resulting into continuation of the Bladder with Prostatic Fossa.

During ejaculation in normal individuals, bladder neck is closed and sphincter of urethra gets relaxed resulting into forward entry of semen in Uerthra and urine is not mixed with semen.
After Prostatectomy, as your bladder neck is incompetent the some amount of urine that is in prostatic fossa may get mixed with semen. That is the reason you are ejaculating urine with semen.
.
It is not due to any medication that you are taking for other illness.

Perineal exercise or exercise like Kegel Exercise may help you to increase the tone of pelvic Floor and bladder neck muscles. That will help in resolving this issue to some extent. Make a routine to empty your bladder whenever you attempt any sexual activity.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions. I shall be happy to help you.

Thanks with Regards.
Dr.Patil..