Had prostate surgery. Have had sore throat since date of surgery. Suggest?

i had prostate surgery on XXXXXXX 7 and am recovering but i have had a sore throat since the date of surgery. I was told i would have a sore throat because my surgery lasted 8 hours. I would think that my voice wouldnt sound so hoarse since it has been 23 days
Posted Sun, 21 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 2 hours later

From the information provided it seems like you are having postoperative sore throat due to endotrachial intubation. It's a common complication of general anesthesia.

Normally sore throat should go away in 5 days; but since it has been about 23 days and you still seem to have hoarse voice, I urge you to visit an ENT surgeon. The possibility of laryngeal nerve injury needs to be ruled out. Your surgeon can perform direct examination of throat as well as indirect laryngoscopy to confirm the possibility.

Further plan of treatment can be determined accordingly.

Hope it helps!! Please feel free to contact me in case of any further clarifications / concerns.