Ask a Urologist   »  

Had prostate biopsy. Can I go for wait and see schedule to monitor the PSA rating?

Hello: I am a 73-year-old male who has had a prostate biopsy recently. Four of the twelve needles proved malignant. My recent PSA indicated 3.8 while the XXXXXXX Score was 7. My doctor and I have decided to apply the 'wait and see' schedule...that is, wait and see if the PSA rating increases over the next three months. Is this a good idea or am I just putting off the inevitable. Regards, XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 1 Jan 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Surveillance Monitoring, Education& consult Detailed Answer: Hello there! Thank you for asking. i read your query and your concern about recently diagnosed Moderately differentiated Prostate CA XXXXXXX 7 with PSA 3.8. I want you to know that your doctor has adopted surveillance monitoring for next three weeks which is a good option. There are ways to get rid of this issue if the metastasis has not occurred yet. Radical prostatectomy, Radiation therapies, Androgen deprivation therapies, Bilateral orchadectomies( both testicle removal) As they source androgens and they worsen the malignancy . Palliative therapies and watchful wait which you are on right now. But the matter of geriatric age of 73 with anaesthetic complications and outcomes don't very much look forward in the favour of surgical resection. So palliative therapies and Androgen deprivation therapies will be needed with some bone protection therapies. SO in nut shell , better to do as directed , stick to the doctor , wait and see for next 3 months, meanwhile learn about your disease as patient education is the most important of all. here are some good sources to learn from WWW.WWWW.WW WWW.WWWW.WW Hope you got what you were looking for. If you have any more queries please feel free to ask, i would be glad to answer them, other wise kindly close the discussion and rate the answer as per your experience. Good luck and take some very good care of yourself. May the odds be ever in your favour. Regards Dr. S Khan