Had prolonged intercourse. Started pain in testicle. Ultrasound showed small inguinal hernia. What's wrong?

General Surgeon
Hi, I am professional volleyballer and this is my story.
10 months ago I had prolonged intercourse for 3 hours with an erection going up and down with urination at least twice throughout the three hours. the next morning I woke with a right testicle ache. I lived with the ache for 5 months until getting an ultrasound. The untrasound showed a small inguinal hernia and 6 months later I under went a right inguinal hernia repair (open surgery with a mesh repair). I have never had severe pain just an annoying ache. I have never had pain in the left testicle either.
I am now 5 weeks in to recovery and the ache is still present and nothing has changed at all. I am fully recovered and I am back running, jumping and living normally.
I am now beginning to think that this ache is something else. My surgeon keeps saying give it time but I am looking for answers elsewhere now. The ache is minimal in the mornings after rest but as soon as I begin my day the ache is back to normal. Before surgery i tried a course of antibiotics for epididimitus and that achieved nothing.
Posted Tue, 31 Jul 2012 in Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajat Gupta 1 hour later

After going through your question and detailed history, I would suggest possibility of right testicle pain due to varicocele.

As the pain is less in morning and increase through the day on standing, and epididymitis has been ruled out, right varicocele may well be the cause.

However, isolated right varicocele is rare.

I would like you to have Doppler Ultrasound of scrotum to rule out this.

Meanwhile wear tight or one size smaller undergarment or scrotal support. This should help you relieve pain.

In addition, I would like to know following:

Has the pain changed after hernia surgery? Or exactly same?
Was it dull aching type earlier and now sharp tingling?

Awaiting your reply.

Wishing you speedy recovery.

Dr. Rajat Gupta
Follow-up: Had prolonged intercourse. Started pain in testicle. Ultrasound showed small inguinal hernia. What's wrong? 26 hours later
Hi I have had a ultrasound and nothing showed on the testicle.
No swelling at all.
The pain hasn't changed at all after the surgery its the same.
It's always been a dull ache.
Answered by Dr. Rajat Gupta 3 hours later
Thanks for writing back.

Are you sure you had a ultrasound Doppler or was it simple ultrasound? I would also advise you to undergo a urine culture as well. Meanwhile, have you tried scrotal support? Did it help?

Dr. Rajat Gupta