Had problems with verifies veins during the pregnancy. Should I be concerned about a clot there?

I delivered my 4th baby 3 days ago, and had problems with verifies veins during the pregnancy. The bulging veins disappeared after delivery but now one of the spots on my inner thigh is growing more and more painful, the veins are reappearing and it is swollen red, and looks bruised around the area? Should I be concerned about a clot there?

Posted Thu, 16 Aug 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.
If the area looks red and swollen, then we should definitely be considering something called thrombophlebitis or a local hematoma.Thrombophlebitis can be associated with a clot as well, so yes, we may be looking at a clot.
The only way to know definitely is to do a doppler ultrasound of the veins. A clot will definitely show up on that.
Till then, you can take Tablet Motrin 1 tablet four times daily with food. Additionally, you may need other medications like antibiotics.
Please see a physician. Its important to get yourself evaluated right now.
Hope that helps.
Let me know if you have any more questions.