Ask a Urologist   »  

Had problems urinating, pain in testicles,penis and scrotum, no lumps. Getting treated for prostatis. On doxycycline.

Pathologist and Microbiologist
Hello, I am a 63 yr old male....5ft 10 in 176 lb. Have had problems urinating for the last 20 yrs. Have had pain in left testicle off and on for last 17 yrs. No lumps present on exam. Also growth in head and shaft of penis found in 1999. Growth is hard, not sore to pressure. Felt the sharp growing pains in penis and scrotum over the years. Was given antibiotics over the years. This is my third treatment for prostatitis as of nine weeks ago. Taken bactrum, cepro,and doxycycline still have hivh level of bacteria, microscopic blood and small amount of pus in urine. Still haveall symptoms I started with including cronic headache and fatigue. No weight
Posted Thu, 16 May 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

I will address your queries one by one.

The symptoms of difficulty in urination indicates some problem in the prostate. It could be due to an enlarged prostate and associated infection. The common symptoms of prostatitis enlargement are increased frequency of urination, dysuria, nocturia, etc.
A trans rectal ultrasound and serum PSA(prostate specific antigen) are required.

A growth on the penile region requires to be biopsied to know the character of lesion.

Pain in the penile and scrotal region can be due to an infectious pathology. The prostatitis can extend upto the epididymis and the testis.

Consult your surgeon for all relevant investigations and further management.

Dr Shailja P Wahal
Follow-up: Had problems urinating, pain in testicles,penis and scrotum, no lumps. Getting treated for prostatis. On doxycycline. 1 hour later
Last July I had a complete blood work up. Everything was normal PSA was .09 . Could I have developed prostate cancer in that length of time or maybe a false nevative. Would I be having these symptoms of extreme fatigue if it was cancer. I have lost no weight and have good appetite.
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 12 hours later
Hello and welcome again,

PSA level of 9 does not suggest malignancy, but there can be benign prastatic hyperplasia (BPH).

If you are developing tiredness, fatigue, weakness, decreased appetite, malignancy has to be kept in mind and repeat PSA levels can be done.
Prostatic cancer does not develop from BPH. It develops from a different site in the prostate.

However, at your age with prostatic symptoms, cancer has to be ruled out.

Thanks and take care.
Dr Shailja P Wahal