Had pre term baby 33 weeks. 5 months old now. Echo test showed small ASD. Heart murmer grade 3. Meaning?

pre term baby 33 weeks.
5 months old now.
echo test at born and now shows impression. small ASD. Heart murmer grade 3.
growth normal.. no symptoms.

any risks involved now or in future
can it be fixed automatically..
do we need to follow up regularly.
any other concerns...

Posted Fri, 27 Sep 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please provide details.

Detailed Answer:
Respected Sir/ Madam
1. I will be able to tell you in detail about this ASD (atrial septal defect) if you can provide me with exact size and location of defect & if there is any other abnormality associated with it. Best would be if you can upload the ECHO reports on this page through the facility on right top of the page. This is important because not all types of ASD close on their own.
2. If you do not have any details, just let me know, I will discuss about this condition so that you can get good insight.
Waiting for your reply.
Follow-up: Had pre term baby 33 weeks. 5 months old now. Echo test showed small ASD. Heart murmer grade 3. Meaning? 16 minutes later
I don't have them right now... may be lateri I will upload. doctors told next tst after 3 months. please advise.
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most isolated small ASD will close spontaneously

Detailed Answer:
Respected sir/ Madam
1. Most common type of ASD are OSTIUM SECUNDUM type. Nearly all isolated defects of size 3 mm or less are likely to close spontaneously. Defects from 4- 5 mm also have fair chance of spontaneous closure but some of them may persist. Some of the defects between 5-9 mm may also close completely. However, for taking a decision of operation the size is not the only criteria; we take presence of murmur, presence of symptoms, growth of child, size of right sided chambers, ECG changes and SINUS VENOSUS type of ASD do not close spontaneously and most of the require surgical closure.
Hope this helps. Feel free to discuss further if required.