Had pre-cum with HIV +ve person. Person on antiretroviral therapy. Chances of getting HIV?

HIV AIDS Specialist
Hi, I have been dating an HIV+ man. We haven't had sex, but we have fooled around. He isn't as worried as I am about him transmitting it - the other night he potentially had pre-cum on his fingers when he touched my vagina a few times, but I stopped him. He didn't insert his finger. He is on antiretroviral therapy. What are my chances of getting HIV from this incident? There hasn't really been anything else that was worrisome - other than me masturbating him and washing my hands after. There seem to be differing ideas on how long the virus can stay "alive" outside the body. Thanks so much - I'm worried!
Posted Sat, 20 Jul 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 12 hours later

Welcome to XXXXXXX
Thanks for sending your query.

The chances of transmission of HIV through masturbating the individual is negligible. Moreover you didn't have had real intercourse or had penetration. Touching the precum and then touching your external genitals also had only negligible chance for the transmission of HIV as per CDC, Atlanta. Masturbating an HIV positive individual also carries a negligible risk only.Virus cannot withstand outside the body fluid and outside environment not more than few minutes as long as the wetness due to body fluid on your hand remains.
Moreover he is on ART. So his viral load will be well under control.
So in my opinion your chances of getting HIV is remote and not to worry.

Anyhow it is always wiser to go for a HIV test and confirm that you are free from HIV and relax.
Dr S.Murugan