Had pounding headache and metallic taste in mouth, feeling sick. Suggest?

my daughter has had a pounding headache and a metalic taste in her mouth. makes her sick. not the first time .is happening now. she is in process of seeing an endocrynogolist.
Posted Mon, 14 Oct 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Prasad 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This is most likely related to migraine...

Detailed Answer:

From what you described your daughter has a pounding/throbbing headache associated with other neurological symptom (metallic taste). These are common associated symptoms of migraine. I am fairly convinced with this diagnosis.

I am aware that she has already met a neurologist; but what I am unaware is the type of treatment that she is on. List out her medication to help me comment on it.

Further I am also unaware of her reasons to visit the endocrinologist. Have you missed any other information to explain this referral?

If her headache is really bad now, I suggest her to try over the counter pain killer like motrin along with over the counter antiemetic like dramamine. It should help her.

Awaiting your response...

Follow-up: Had pounding headache and metallic taste in mouth, feeling sick. Suggest? 7 hours later
thank you I will relay this answer. The neuroli gave her meds and she only take part of it due to how strong it is. Since other than migrains, she has been refered to endocryn dr. and they are testing her for hypo glyc, and diabetis, due to having dizziness and blackouts. She has been to three dr. and they are unable to find the problem. now this endo hopefully. The metalic taste worries her. so you are sayoing it comes along with migraines?
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It's part of migraine package...

Detailed Answer:

Migraine is usually accompanied before or during the episode with different variety of symptoms. Nausea and vomiting are the commonly reported associated complaints. Visual disturbances, abnormal smell and different taste are not so common symptoms. Though not very common, it's still part of migraine package.

Please note that the symptoms would disappear as the headache goes down. Therefore I believe you need to treat migraine with the right drugs.

If she has recurrent episodes of dizziness and blackouts along with diabetes check, it would also be better to get a EKG of the heart. You may discuss about it when you XXXXXXX her endocrinologist.

Hope that helped. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Best regards