Had post nasal drop. Doing nasal rinse. Taking two sprays of fluticasone. Suffer shortness of breath. Can I take astepro?

Diabetologist
Question
I've had post nasal drip for 5 days now. I've been doing a nasal rinse 2x a day for 3 days also. I currently take 2 sprays of fluticasone daily. I did afrin for 3 days. Now I would like to take astepro at nite to stop the nasal drip. It's giving me shortness of breath.
Posted Fri, 12 Jul 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 1 hour later

Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for your query.

Astepro(Azelastine) is an antihistaminic and helps in control of nasal congestion and inflammation. It can be used in post nasal drip caused by seasonal allergies.

If you're allergic to azelastine it may cause troubled breathing.
It is one of the well documented side effects of Azelastine.

The short breath may aggravate the coexisting COPD also.

so at this instance stop azelastine and consult an ENT specialist to evaluate the cause of Post nasal drip.

Hope the answer helps you.
Pleased to answer other queries.

Follow-up: Had post nasal drop. Doing nasal rinse. Taking two sprays of fluticasone. Suffer shortness of breath. Can I take astepro? 16 minutes later
I haven't started the astepro yet I wanted to know I can also use it while I'm using fluticasone? I do the fluticasone in the morning is it ok to use the astepro at night? I am not allergic to astepro. The shortness of breath is coming from the post nasal drip. I understand what your saying but at this time that is not the case.

Thank you.

In that case you can use Astepro at night and fluticasone in the morning.

Both of the medications will help in reducing the inflammation cause due to allergy.

In this way both of it will reduce the post nasal drip.

Just one word of advice
After using Fluticasone rinse your mouth with water to prevent oral ulcer.