Had post nasal drip with sore throat. Noticed dark red/purplish veins present in throat. Allergy by animal?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2012
Dec 2012
Excellent

Question
Hi, for the last two weeks i have had post nasal drip with a slight sore throat. I have figured this was do to a possible alergic reation to a new cat in our house. I have now noticed that the redness in my throat has gotten worse and there are dark red/purplish veins present. My mouth is dry and sorta feels like when you burn your tongue on hot food. I am also very tired.
I dont want to take any allergy medicine if I dont have to...
could this be caused by an allergy to this animal?
Posted Fri, 12 Jul 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

You might be right about your cat giving you allergies and causing your present symptoms, but it will be unwise to have a fixed mind that only your cat could be responsible without first trying to establish the fact that a strep throat could be responsible for this. You could be having sinusitis associated to oropharyngitis (ENT infection) and if that be the case, you will require an antibiotics to eradicate the germs.
The only way to confirm if the cat is directly implicated, you will have to get rid of the cat for a few days (maybe leave it with a family or friend for a few days), then if the symptoms subside, you can reintroduce the cat, if they occur again, then the cat is the culprit. If allergy is the cause, then you will require antihistamine or steroid which can get temporary relief.
But I suggest, you XXXXXXX a doctor first, so he will be able to examine you and decide whether he is placing you on antibiotics or not.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any further questions.
Dr. Nsah

Follow-up: Had post nasal drip with sore throat. Noticed dark red/purplish veins present in throat. Allergy by animal? 43 minutes later
Thank you for your response. I did go to a nurse practitioner when I first experienced the symptoms and she prescribed both an antibiotic and a antihistamine. I didn't take the antibiotic because i never ended up running a fever and thought if it was something more I would. I went on a vacation for about 4 days and the symptoms stayed about the same.
I will take the antihistamine consistently through the weekend and if things don't change i will contact my like a feasible plan?

Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 7 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for updating,

If you have taken antihistamines for a couple of days already and if you have no improvement, then allergy is likely ruled out. I suggest, you start antibiotics as complication of ENT infection can be worst. It is better, you go on with the antibiotics immediately before your doctor has to deal with a complication. You might require steroid antiinflammatory.

Hope this helps and let me know if you any further questions.
Dr. Nsah

Follow-up: Had post nasal drip with sore throat. Noticed dark red/purplish veins present in throat. Allergy by animal? 44 minutes later
final question.. could I have an infection that requires antibiotics and not be running a fever? I just hate to take stuff if I dont have to.

Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 5 minutes later
Yes, sore throat +/- sinusitis can effectively be present without any fever. Just the soreness and throat inflammation is enough to place you on antibiotics.
Ones you are on antibiotics and antiinflammatory your symptoms will likely subside within a couple of days.

Hope this answers your question.
Dr. Nsah