Had possible meningitis with no head pain and sore neck. Suggest?

Nov 2013

Last night I was in the hospital with possible meningitis after waiting a few hours my head ache dulled down and my neck didn't hurt at all and I never had a fever so they sent me home but now my neck is sore but I have no headache and no fever should I go back to the er?
Posted Tue, 15 Oct 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your symptoms are unlikely to be due to meningitis

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

Based on your symptoms, you are unlikely to have meningitis. The typical symptoms in a patient with meningitis would include fever, headache and vomiting, associated with neck stiffness.

Sore neck is most often due to muscle stiffness and spasm, related to posture, prolonged sitting, etc.

As of now, I would suggest you to take muscle relaxants or pain killers such as diclofenac tablets. If your symptoms persist or worsen or if you develop symptoms of meningitis (as described above), then, you may go to the ER.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist