Had polyp removed. Colonoscopy done. On medication for diverticulosis and ibs symptoms. Colon cancer?

General Surgeon
I had a polyp removed 4 years ago and had a further colonoscopy 2 years ago and was told I haver Diverticulosis. I have ibs symptoms and take Coppelminh and Fibrogel. Do I need another colonoscopy now or is the risk of colon cancer unlikely.
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

Colonoscopy should be performed every 10 years for person older than 50.
If polyps will be found during the colonoscopy, next colonoscopy should be performed:
- after 5 years if 1-2 polyps with diameter less than 1 cm were removed
- after 3 years if 3 polyps or 1 with diameter more than 1 cm were removed
- after every 2-3 years if more than 10 polyps were removed.
If in the second colonoscopy there will be no polyps, next should be done after 10 years and the risk of colon cancer is about 5% (average).

Diverticulitis is not a condition which can cause colon cancer. Usually it causes lower left abdominal pain. It is caused by constipation.
However diverticulitis brings risk of perforation. That is why when the acute inflammation of diverticles appears more than once, surgical removal of the part of large intestine should be considered.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.