Had polymyositis and having weakness in legs and arms. Taking prednisone and methotrexate. Should I continue the medication?

I was diagnosed with polymyositis in 2011 and have had my ups and downs over these years. right now I have weakness in my legs and upper arms. was so much better but then came down with 7 blood clots in my lungs and I am on 24/7 oxygen for a year now. I am on 20 mg prednisone and 25 mg per week methotrexate. my ck level was 1425 last week and I receive IV IG once a month what can I do? Thanks XXXX
Posted Thu, 28 Nov 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Varanasi Pundarikaksha 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Continue the treatment. Change to deflazacort... Detailed Answer: At the age is 66 yrs with history of Polymyositis, you are on appropriate medication - Prednisone 20 mg, Methotrexate 25 mg per week and also IVIG once a month. I would recommend you to continue the same treatment. Prednisone may be tapered in a period of 2 years. You will need complete blood count monitoring periodically to rule out the toxic effects of the drugs. To lessen the toxicity of Prednisone, it may be exchanged with Deflazacort with the advice of your Chest Physician. It is also essential that you watch your blood glucose level periodically. I will be glad to discuss further if you need clarifications. Regards