Had poison ivy and prescribed with prednisone. Redness on face and staph infection in nostril. Suggest the cure?

I got what I thought was poison ivy about a month ago. I tired all sorts of things for it. Finally I asked my dermatologist. He gave me prednisone pills which I took for a month. I got better, but it still didn't go away. So, I asked my family doctor if I could have a shot. He okayed it. But things got worse instead of better! I went back a week later and saw a different doctor who said the red place on my face and near my right nostril was a staph/strep infection. He gave me cream for the infection and pills to take for a week. He also gave me a week's worth of cream for the poison ivy bumps that were still erupting all over my body. Nothing seems to be happening and each day I got more red itchy places. I can only sleep a few hours at nice because I wake up itching. I am out of the cream for the poison ivy and it's only been 2 days! Help!
Posted Fri, 18 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Avoid exposure.Prednisolone with slow tappering.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

poison ivy and other toxic plants commonly cause allergies.

It can be due to direct contact or by airborne route.

It will be important to find out if there is a source of plant.

Constant exposure can lead to sensitivity and new skin rash even with treatment.

Avoid harsh soap.

Physical protection along with sunscreen is required to avoid further exposure.

Sudden tapering of prednisolone can worsen the condition.I will advise you to consult your dermatologist and go for further treatment.

Anti histaminic tablet like allegra 180 mg at day time and hydroxizine at night time will reduce itching.

Avoid creams as far as possible since it can cause sensitivity worsening the condition.

I hope this will help you.In case you have any concerns I will be happy to help you.