Had pneumonia. Having bronchitis. On medicine. Body looks pale with breathing difficulty. Worrisome

I have severe asthma and was diagnosed with bronchitis last Wednesday. I was sent home with Ceftin, a clear cough round pill and steroid tabs along with xoponex for my breathing machine. I'm not sleeping, continue to cough and now hear crackling on exhale when I'm settled sitting upright and have been still for a while. I tried to go back to work this morning, but my legs gave out from underneath me once I got to the classroom. They sent me home and said I was very pale with dark eyes. My back and chest feel like somebody beat the tar out of me and I can't hardly stand up. I'm not getting quality air into my lungs. I have a doctor's appt again at 11 with my general prac. What should I say or do? I've had pneumonia twice before and this sure feels like it again. Thank you
Posted Sun, 3 Mar 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 29 minutes later

I have read your query in detail.

From your description and from the history of having had pneumonia in the past, i am of the opinion that you may be coming down with pneumonia again. You have mentioned that you have severe asthma and you must be on regular steroids for it, hence the chances of having pneumonia are more. Breathing difficulty may become worse if you develop pneumonia along with asthma. You need to see your physician/pulmonologist as soon as possible so that appropriate diagnosis can be made. You may have to be started on injectable steroids for asthma under cover of broad spectrum injectable antibiotics for pneumonia or any other infection. Hence either you visit ER or consult youre physician at the earliest.

Follow-up: Had pneumonia. Having bronchitis. On medicine. Body looks pale with breathing difficulty. Worrisome 4 minutes later
Will it require hospitalization?
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 9 hours later

Whether you will need hospitalization depends on many parameters. Your treating physician will assess your general condition and involvement of various systems. Taking all the parameters into consideration and assessing the severity, he will decide whether to hospitalize you or treat you on domicilliary basis.