Had periods but was extremely light. Underlying cause?

Mar 2013
I live in Houston, TX and traveled to Anchorage, AK for about 20 days. I should have started my period during my last few days there. I did bleed very very light, not even enough to really need to use a tampon. Could the change in altitude have anything to do with this unusual occurrence?
Posted Tue, 24 Sep 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Altitudinal changes definitely DO affect the menstrual cycle.
Periods maybe delayed or preponed, the amount maybe increased or scanty .
The lighter period can be attributed to the altitude change.

You should also know that there are other common reasons too - stress, anxiety, hectic travelling (applies in your case ), exercise ( you might have indulged in active sports ), birth control or other medications like antidepressants, rapid changes in weight, etc.

If you are sexually active, the next approach ideally will be to get the test to exclude pregnancy. If that is negative, and you continue to have light period again, visit your gynecologist for tests to exclude polycystic ovaries, endometrial hyperplasia and thyroid hormone dysfunction.

Hope this helped. I would be happy to address any follow up questions if you have them.

All the best!!