Had pericarditis, having problem with heart. Prescribed metoprolol after Afib. What else can be done?

HI. I was prescribed metoprolol after an Afib the other night. I was told the Afib was normal after pericarditis (3 weeks ago). They have me on 25mg for the rest of the month. I like it but don't want to stay on it for ever and afraid of having my heart chemistry altered. The docs feel that my heart will most likely return to normal. I think i'd like more reassurance.
Posted Thu, 16 May 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 46 minutes later
Dear Ma'm

1. Metoprolol does not cure Atrial fibrillation (AF) it is just given to control heart rate response to AF. it has probably been advised to control your heart rate if it recurs (it is not clear that you still have AF or not).

2. During acute pericarditis there is inflammation of pericardium (a thin sac enclosing the heart), the inflammation may effect the adjoining (underlying) part of heart muscle. Since Atria are thinner chambers and if the get involved in inflammation, they may throw AF which is not a common or usual complication after Acute pericarditis.

3. Only bad thing associated with this which can cause AF in 33% of affected patients is Chronic constrictive pericarditis. Mind it, it is a pure academic statement, not related to you now, because neither you are in time-frame for chronic pericarditis, nor it is common after most types of acute pericarditis.

4. I would like to know if you still have AF. if it not there now, I hope it will not come back at least because of your acute pericarditis and you will be off the metoprolol soon.

5. AF at your age may have many other causes, will like to work-up if it recurs.

Hope I explained the things to you. Feel free to discuss further.
Sukhvinder Singh