Had pelvic ultrasound and trams vaginal scan because of continuous bleeding and cramping. Report says uterus is antreverted. Guide?

Question
I have had a pelvic ultrasound and trams vaginal scan because of continuous bleeding and cramping. The report says uterus is antreverted. heterogeneity of my myometrium noted. the endometrium is irregular. no obvious endometrial mass idenitified. no significant endometrical thickening however. ceasarean scare noted. cervix is unremarkable. left ovary normal.dominant follicle measures 2cm right ovary. no solid ovarian lesions. no free fluid.I am 51 years old
Posted Fri, 30 Aug 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Deepti Goyal 29 minutes later
Hi XXXXX,

Thanks for the asking the query on XXXXXXX

The symptoms which you mentioned and the ultrasound report provided by you are suggestive of adenomyosis. But diagnosis cannot be confirmed without examining you.

I will advise you to go for an urgent endometrial biopsy to rule out any cancerous lesion which can be a coexisting pathology along with adenomyosis and is a common cause of abnormal bleeding at this age.

Good Luck.
Hope this information is helpful and informative to you.
If you had any further queries you can directly reach out to me on the following URL:
WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: Had pelvic ultrasound and trams vaginal scan because of continuous bleeding and cramping. Report says uterus is antreverted. Guide? 15 minutes later
Thank you Dr XXXXXXX for your reply. Can you tell me what do you mean having the cancer biopsy to rule out cancerous lesion which can be coexisting pathology along with adenomyosis? What treatment is available for adenomyosis? I only came off the contraceptive pill 6 months ago and that is when everything changed up until then no problems.

Thank you

Answered by Dr. Deepti Goyal 14 hours later

Endometrial biopsy is a small procedure in which we take a few bits from uterine cavity and test it in lab for any evidence of cancer. Sometimes, there may be two pathology in one patient( like adenomyosis and endometrial cancer) and any one of these can be responsible for symptoms like bleeding and pain. To be on the safe side, we should always rule out cancerous lesions in older age patients.

Treatment of adenomyosis is usually surgical which involves partial resection of adenomyomata or, if family is complete, total hysterectomy can be done.Some progesterone intrauterine systems can be used for time being to control bleeding and pain.

If you had any other query, you can directly reach out to me on the following URL:
WWW.WWWW.WW