Had patella fractures and have wire in place. Mobilizing with crutches, cannot bend and have band around knees

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I need a specialist ortho surgeon in patella fractures. I am 5 months post injury surgery broken left patella and have wire in place. My rehab is very slow despite physio exs - and I am mobilising of sorts with crutches. My leg is "stuck" with no bend and a feeling of heaviness and tight band around the knee - like a snake has wrapped itself around it and wont let go. the pain is schizophrenic - some days are good some days are not! I am only on panadeine as my GP will not prescribe endone anymore. I am due to have the wire out in october which the surgeon says should see some improvement. I've had enough - is this normal? Muscle wasting is prevalent in my calf.
Posted Sat, 14 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Late recovery is a normal thing in patella fractur

Detailed Answer:
After a comminuted fracture of patella, the recovery is often slow. The pain and stiffness that you are feeling is normal after tension band wiring. After the wire is removed, the range of movement will increase.
Regular physiotherapy and hot fomentation of the joint is a must to regain the range of movement. You can also ask your orthopedician for manipulation under anaesthesia to detect any abnormality after the wire is removed.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.