Had passed little watery loose motions which were blood like red in color while sleeping. Suggest?

I was sleepin and around 3am I felt like I had to use the toilet..when in woke up I found that I had passed little watery loose motions which were blood like red in color while I was sleepin. This has happened for the first time with me..please help
Posted Sat, 13 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ali Ismayilov 1 hour later
Hello and Welcome,

The information you provided is really not enough to make any thought about specific disease or condition.

Blood-like red loose stool is most likely blood. At your age, this may be due to various causes including benign conditions (e.g. hemorrhoids) or some more serious issues (e.g. inflammatory bowel disease).

I do not see any emergency in your status but I really think that this is some that requires urgent attention to rule out serious problems.

So, your best bet is to make an appointment with your general practitioner as soon as possible. Meanwhile, avoid spicy foods and foods that cause constipation (e.g. process food, like pizza; wheat products) and drink a lot of water.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

A. Ismayilov, MD