Had partially unprotected sex, taken Next choice. Brown clots in urine, abdominal and back pain, frequent urination. Am I safe?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
I took Next choice few days back. My periods got over 3 days before the sex, the condom slipped. Just to be on safer side, I took pills in 9hours of doing it and took other one after 12 hours. It has been 4 days after taking it and I can see brown tiny clots randomly in my urine, slightly strong yellowish urine, mild abdominal and back pain, messed up appetite, mood and stomach, have to run to loo often to pee or stool, weakness. This are symptoms i could see, can I get some advise if I am safe or not, not sure if this is normal.
Posted Tue, 25 Sep 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 58 minutes later
hi,

according to your history the chance of pregnancy is less as,
-you had intercourse around 8th day of your menstrual cycle, in case of regular cycle with average of 30 days duration the possibility of ovulation is uncommon around that period,
-as you took the pill within 9hours of intercourse it might have prevented the possibility of pregnancy,

next choice emergency pill can cause side effects like,
irregular bleeding: as you took the pill in the first half of the cycle it can prepone the periods, it can also cause spotting, brownish discharge, inter menstrual bleeding etc,
pain or bloating sensation of abdomen, nausea, vomitings, frequency of urine, lack of control over urine etc,
so most of your symptoms could be side effects of emergency pill, usually they will subside soon, but if the symptoms become severe better to consult gynecologist once.
better avoid repeated usage of emergency pill as that can lead to short term and long term side effects, for more details,
http://srsree.blogspot.in/2012/08/emergency-contraceptive-pill-short-term.html

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Had partially unprotected sex, taken Next choice. Brown clots in urine, abdominal and back pain, frequent urination. Am I safe? 27 minutes later
Can you suggest me any diet to follow to stabilize my stomach, this cramped stomach is making it difficult for a regular routine

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 49 minutes later
hi,

better to go for light diet,
take liquids like herbal tea, juices etc avoid coffee,
carbonated mineral water, ginger ale etc will help,
by taking crackers, toast etc acidity will decrease to some extent,
you can take antacids and anti-spasmodics to get relief from symptoms.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Had partially unprotected sex, taken Next choice. Brown clots in urine, abdominal and back pain, frequent urination. Am I safe? 16 days later
Hi Dr,

Been a while since out last talk. I did have spotting for couple of days and then I stabilized back to normal after the pill effect. My question now is somehow till now, I feel puckish at time. I feel sick feeling in my stomach, feel like I will vomit but then I am good. Can you suggest what could have caused this.

Thanks!

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 8 hours later
hi XXXXXXX

the possible causes for your symptoms are,
-the side effects of the pill may lasted longer,
-as the rhythm of your menstrual cycle changed, the symptoms could be postovulatory or premenstrual,
-rarely symptoms of early pregnancy(though the chance is very low),

so if the symptoms subside it is good, if not you can go for pregnancy test once which will rule out the doubt completely, them you can take symptomatic treatment.