Had partially unprotected sex. What can be used as emergency contraception? Dosage?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Hello there, I had a question regarding ECs - We don't have them avaialble in Dubai and unfortunately my partner and i had an accident with our normal contraceptive method (burst condom) and we are worried i may be pregnant. My menstrual cycle was on day 13 and as per my chart i may have been ovulating or about to begin - i cannot be sure. We are both not ready for this and unfortunately do not have access to ECs here.

Can XXXXXXX pills be used as an EC as a completely emergency solution and if yes, how many pills can be consumed? i was told 2 pills one one day and 2 pills the next day within 72 horus would work as EC....would this dosage have enough hormone combination to help effective EC?

It has been a little over 24 hours since the incident and i'm a bit lost of options.

I would be ever so grateful for any help and guidance you may be able to provide!
Posted Sat, 6 Apr 2013 in Birth Control

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 49 minutes later

Though XXXXXXX contains the same type of hormones present in emergency pill, the effect of XXXXXXX as emergency pill is somewhat doubtful.
If you are not having other alternative you can take the tablets in the doses as recommended by your doctor.
But as you had previous episodes of abnormal pap smear better to avoid repetition of these higher doses.
Other option is you can go for insertion of intrauterine device, which can help to prevent pregnancy and also acts as regular contraceptive measure.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Had partially unprotected sex. What can be used as emergency contraception? Dosage? 15 hours later
Dear Doctor,

Thank you so much for your response.

The unfortunate relaity is that unless one is married - there is no access to other forms of birth-control such as intrauterine or even depo N injections. Hence, i will be unable to avail the alternatives you have suggested.
XXXXXXX is available OTC and hence the enquiry if any OTC birth control pills such as XXXXXXX can work as an EC in the most extreme situation - which is what one faces here.

and If yes, Then what is the dosage of XXXXXXX that can be used to support an EC/have the same effect as an EC.

I undertsand it will not be a 99% effective but even a lessening of the probability of falling pregnant by accident in a country where abortions and EC are not available options would be a good fix in the immediate reality.

Any guidance on or an aletrnative for birth control pills available in Dubai OTC that can work as ECs and the dosage you would recommend would be helpful...

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 17 minutes later
Yes, as now according to your situation there is no other option you can go for XXXXXXX
You can take the tablets as you mentioned in your first question within 72 hours of the act. That is the normal dosage usually prescribed for emergency contraception.
Usually after taking the tablets within 4 to 5 days you will get withdrawal bleeding. After that if needed you can continue the pills as regular contraceptive method.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Had partially unprotected sex. What can be used as emergency contraception? Dosage? 6 minutes later
Dear Doctor,

Thank you for your quick response - should i take 2 tablets on one day; followed by another 2 tablets on the next day?

The XXXXXXX package comes with same light orange coloured tablest; 1 for 21 days.

Each tablet has the following:

Drospirenone 3.000 mg
Etinilestradiol 0.030 mg

How many tablets would you advise and in what dosage to be taken in the 72 hour period?

I will continue with these after the 72 hour period as the regular birth control method as well as you have advised.

And if i experience no bleeding after the 4 to 5 days from taking the tablets - is this ok or do i need to have this looked into?

Thank you ever so much for your guidance and help!

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 12 minutes later

Yes, you should take two tablets in one day followed by two tablets in the next day at the same time.
After this you stop taking pills. Wait for withdrawal bleeding.
If you get withdrawal bleeding that will indicate that the tablets possibly prevented pregnancy.
If you do not get periods even one week after taking the pills, then better to go for pregnancy test once at the time of your expected date of regular periods.
If you get withdrawal bleeding start XXXXXXX pills from the first day of the bleeding.