Had partially unprotected intercourse, urination and washing. Is it safe? History of D&C

I had sex last night with condom , today morning I had sex but did not realise inside but little precum was there ,wife urinated and washed within 2minutes is it safe ,wife also had d&c about 10 days back 8weeks pregancy, she has irregular period for the past 2 years
Posted Sat, 22 Sep 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 56 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

So from what you are saying:

1. Your wife was 8 weeks pregnant and had a D&C 10 days ago
2. You had intercourse which was partially unprotected
3. She washed and urinated afterwards

First of all, if there was any ejaculation INTO the vagina, then washing and urinating will not offer any additional protection. That being said, I believe that you have nothing to worry about in terms of risk for another pregnancy for the following reasons:

1. Even with the D&C, pregnancy hormone levels take quite a while to back to negative
2. Her next cycle is suppressed while those pregnancy hormone levels are still present - thus delaying her current cycle
3. Most women are not fertile until about Day#14. Given the delay in ovulation produced by the prior pregnancy, AND being only Day#10 from the D&C, then theoretically there really is no way that she could have gotten pregnant from this contact.

So, do not worry too much, but continue to use protection. She also needs to schedule a followup with her OB/GYN within the next month to make sure that the prior pregnancy has resolved appropriately and to possibly discuss options for birth control.

I hope this helps! - DR XXXXXXX