Had partially tore ACL and MCL after fall. Ankle and foot swollen and hurts causing to limp. Suggest?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I partially tore my ACL and MCL after a fall 10 days ago. I have been doing well today walking with a brace but by the end of the day, it was my ankle and foot hurting, making me limp when I try to walk. Why?...My ankle is swollen but my knee is not.
Posted Sat, 5 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
May be due to impeded venous blood flow.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Most propably, your ankle swelling might be due to the reduced venous blood flow (from below upwards towards the heart) by the too much tightness of the encircling brace causing the superficial veins to get compressed thereby resulting in dependent swelling in the ankles by the end of the day.

I suggest you to not to apply the brace too much tightly so as to impede the blood flow. Just a snug fit is sufficient. Also, keeping the foot end in elevation (while you are not walking) over a pillow or a cushion will help in resolving the swelling in the ankle.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further