Had partially protected sex. Have stuffy nose, post nasal drip, itchy and scaly eyes, oral herpes, clogged ears, night sweats, numb hands, high BP

Question
I had potentially unprotected (insertive) male on male sex in October of 2011. I say "potentially" because I was intoxicated but I thought at the time I had on a condom.

At the end of November of 2012 I started developing a sinus issue that I get due to allergies 3 or 4 times a year. While those symptoms improved over a period of weeks under treatment with an ENT (4 weeks antibiotics) the recovery was difficult. In late december I went for a period of several weeks when I was very dizzy and disoriented during most days. Some symptoms have persisted off and on now since that time. Some of my symptoms I have experienced in this time are as follows;
1) almost continual stuffy nose - off and on
2) continual post nasal drip
3) Itchy scaly eyebrows - In november and again in XXXXXXX
4) Oral herpes - this is off and on but something I have had for many many years
5) Clogged ears - off an on since December but seem to be more prevalent when pollen is high
6) Night Sweats - this was only in December when fighting the infection
7) Lack of Concentration, Dizzy, lightheaded - December
8) Numb, tingly hands
9) warm sensation in right foot - this started in mid December got better for a few months but now appears again most every day
10) High blood pressure - since December - now on lisinopril
11) tinnitus - since December
12) possible oral thrush - not sure (rough patch inside left cheek)

I have strong mold, and tree and grass allergies. I live in an area of XXXXXXX (Austin) that may be the worst for allergy sufferers. I was much better in February but March brought back the clogged ears, tinnitus, and severally stuffy nose.

I am was not on antibiotics in March but I was on steroid nose sprays, zyrtec and singulair and nothing seemed to help. The ringing, clogged ears and stuffy nose were killing me. I did seem to get better once the pollen died down.

Now, however mold has been high and I still continue to suffer with
1) stuffy nose in the am
2) tinnitus
3) of and on canker sores and sores in the mouth - including rough patch on inside of cheeks
4) warm right foot
5) unusual tiny boils tend to pop up here and there in random place on my body. Usually hands and lower legs. The heal in just a few days.

I seem to get healthy for a few weeks - with limited tinnitus and then the pollen and molds kick up and I am back to this state. I just need some relief to feel good and nothing seems to help.

I am concerned that my multiple symptoms are not just allergies but rather symptomatic of HIV progressing toward AIDS. Is this primary HIV or do I just need to get a better control on my allergy issues?
Posted Fri, 16 Aug 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 1 hour later

Thanks for the clear description of your symptoms. I have read it with diligence.

Multiple symptoms of yours could be HIV progressing to AIDS. The chances are fair. Although these are aggravation of your existing allergy, there is a definite possibility that it could HIV too.

Of course, you need to get a better control of your allergy. This could be primary HIV also. I am saying this in view of the potentially unprotected (insertive) sexual intercourse that you had in October 2011.

If your HIV status is unknown to you, it is worth being tested for the same. An ELISA test would be sufficient to confirm.

Practice safe sex. Do steam inhalations daily along with the medications that you take. Also, consider taking multivitamin supplements on a daily basis and keep your blood pressure under control.

I would like to discuss more of your concerns. Please do write back for further information, if required.

Get well soon.

Follow-up: Had partially protected sex. Have stuffy nose, post nasal drip, itchy and scaly eyes, oral herpes, clogged ears, night sweats, numb hands, high BP 23 hours later
I'm sorry. I was not clear. I do not know my HIV status. This would not be ARS since my potential event was almost two years ago. So if I do have HIV then it has progressed significantly in a short time.

My question to you is if these symptoms seem like HIV or are they just allergies or anxiety.

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 3 hours later
Yes, these symptoms seem like HIV to me by 60%, allergy by 50%, and anxiety by 20%. This is my view based on your symptoms and my clinical experience of treating patients with such symptoms.

Please go ahead and get tested for HIV. It is worth it.

Take care!

Follow-up: Had partially protected sex. Have stuffy nose, post nasal drip, itchy and scaly eyes, oral herpes, clogged ears, night sweats, numb hands, high BP 5 hours later
What specifically leads you to believe 60%. Because others say you should not and can not diagnose by symptoms. And if true. Is it possible that these things start to show only one year after potential infection? That seems very quick.

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 16 hours later

I hope you are doing well.

Your symptoms of "stuffy nose in the am, of and on canker sores and sores in the mouth - including rough patch on inside of cheeks, unusual tiny boils tend to pop up here and there in random place on my body. Usually hands and lower legs. They heal in just a few days".

These make me specifically to suspect HIV by 60%. Please be informed that I am not diagnosing you. I am educating you about the possibilities for your symptoms. Again, it could be 50% due to allergy. But then, why would get these unusual tiny boils all over? And the rough patch on the inside of your cheeks?

HIV can show up starting from 3 months after infection to 10 years after being infected depending on your body's immune status.

I hope these differentials would help you to conclude on the cause for your symptoms rather than just diagnosing you.

I request you to speak to your good health and take care!