Had partial hysterectomy, uterus removed. Occasional light bleeding. No STD. What is wrong with me?

I had a partial hysterectomy almost 3 years ago ( uterus removed). I Have occasional bright red bleeding that lasts for a week or so at a time. It is never much but the bright red color worries me. I had a normal pap and tested negative for std's. i also have some cramping assicoated with this. What could it be?
Posted Sat, 26 May 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later

Bright colour bleeding could due to menstrual bleeding or some local cause like infection or some other local condition. It is good that you have tested negative for STD and your pap smear is also normal.

This is not normal and not experienced by many. It is better to visit your doctor and get your self examined.

In cases like yours when total uterus is not removed means cervix is left and at least one ovary is preserved there are chances of this to be a normal menstrual bleeding depending upon your age.

Let your doctor examine you and look for any local causes like infection etc.

Proper examination and evaluation is advisable.

I hope this helps

Do write again if you have something more to ask.

In case you do not have further query, please accept the answer.