Had partial complex seizures. CAT scan showed white matter disease. Suffered stroke. What can be done?

I have had partial complex seizures since age 50 when under an incredible level of stress. My memory has deteriorated, and I no longer know when I will remember an event or even locations of various doctors unless I see them more often than yearly, and remembering names of those folks whom I see erratically at get-togethers is often compromised. My first neurologist was puzzled by the "white matter disease" that showed up in my CAT scan, especially since I do not appear to have developed dementia and functioned until my retirement as a Microbiology group manager at our State lab. A CT scan performed 2 years ago also showed a "long standing right basal ganglia lucunar infarct" and my research has shown that not only do I not understand all the terms, but that I may have suffered a small stroke in the past. No other signs of such a thing. What can I expect and when?

Where did "Sleep Disorders" come from??? I did not "Select" that!
Posted Mon, 8 Jul 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 2 hours later

I have gone through the history provided. I wish if you can provide details of EEG analysis and current medications also. Your current problem is forgetfulness which has following explanation:

1 Related to white matter involvement which might be progressive; or
2 It is simple poor concentration rather than loss of memory; or
3 It is related to epilepsy and /or drugs. or
4 It is related to stress

My suggestion would be a) Have a medical check up b) XXXXXXX mental screening for memory c) atherosclerosis profile and risk factor analysis. This may be able to answer your problem.

Dr Pratap